Another front door thread

Options
VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
I’m looking to replace my front door. Who knew it would be so complicated, expensive and frankly boring?! I’m hoping the good people on this board can help me find the following in metal / solid wood that can be reliably installed and won’t cost a small fortune. All I want is a door (not surround) that looks like this:

exterior-beautiful-modern-front-doors-for-houses-photos-house-makeovers-door-entrance-designs-ideas-featured-frame.jpg

4Br4g3
https://goo.gl/images/4Br4g3

The door size is irregular but I am guessing that the frame can be made to accommodate a standard sized door.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pretty standard design, not sure what you are after, look at composite doors.Your going to have to shop around, look for a small joinery company who do doors.
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    Looks like my door except I have a lion head knocker and proper door handle.
    Mines a composite door in navy.
    You do need to shop around.
    Yes they are made to measure - frame included.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    So there is no lazy-girl’s way around this?

I find it quite mind-numbing!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

lazy way and mse way - keep your old door.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options

You'll be spending a significant amount of money. Why do you want to do it the lazy way? It's the main entry into your home - and security.

Anyway, I've gone for solidor. Composite, strong. I'd have preferred a Rokdoor but didn't have that sort of money.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    You'll be spending a significant amount of money. Why do you want to do it the lazy way? It's the main entry into your home - and security.

Anyway, I've gone for solidor. Composite, strong. I'd have preferred a Rokdoor but didn't have that sort of money.
    I know, I know. I just cannot get excited about a door, however much is spent on it. Every time I open a brochure it sends me to sleep zzzzzzzzz. What I dread is spending money on something that seems to be securely manufactured and then finding it needs fixing all the time because of the way it is fitted (something I picked up on another thread on this board). It would drive me nuts leaving the house early for a commute into work to find the door hanging off its hinges.

Am thankful for recommendations of reliable suppliers and fitters though.

• flowrypot
    flowrypot Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a Rock door fitted by http://www.rightdoor.co.uk/about-us

He was very good and neat ,and the price he quoted was what we paid.
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    I know, I know. I just cannot get excited about a door, however much is spent on it.

I do agree with you - but take is as a chance to change the front of the house and put even more of your mark on it. I found it boring, but I want to know the ins and outs of what I'm buying and the research paid off. My house will be a lot smarter with new doors! Finding them was dull but I'm excited for them being fitted
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    I have new impetus to crack on with this now that its suddenly dawned on me that the reason the house is so flipping cold is that the external doors are energy inefficient! Funny how a dash of snow can concentrate the mind.

I'd still be grateful for any tips though. Do I start with the door or the frame?

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options

Do I start with the door or the frame?

If you buy a pvcu, or a composite, door it comes together withe frame. So your question is probably irrelevant.

You then look at your budget and fashion. Pvcu is cheaper, so if you are on a low budget this is the default choice. If you have more money then following fashion is possible by choosing a composite door. This is because pvcu doors look so dated - typical 1990s style.

You have worried about security but only you know what the risks are in your location. However, the vast majority of people feel secure with composite doors, even though there are significant weakness with them. But here the same applies to a car and few worry about this. If you want to break into a car simply tap the window. People live with this, or do not consider it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure