PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling flat I rent

Options
Hi
I am looking for some advice as i am getting conflicted information from my landlord and the estate agents.
I have rented this property since July 2012 on a AST. The landlord has decided to sell but has stated i can stay here until its sold and that if i do he will give me 2 months rent when property is sold, that was the first email. Then the second email he said there is conditions with this that i must cooperate with the sale and allow potential buyers to view. Flat is leasehold and only has 44years on the lease. One has already viewed yesterday.
the advice i need is the following.
Is there a difference in the sayings sitting tenant or tenant in situ. It has been advertised as tenant in situ.
What happens if its sold and the buyer wants to move in? I am being told that if its sold the new buyer automatically becomes my new landlord?

I am very confused by all this and need some advice.This has been my home and i am at a loss to what my rights are and if i am a sitting tenant or tenant in situ (if there's a difference)

Any advice would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "Sitting tenant" usually means a tenant who has some kind of regulated tenancy rather than an AST. Whilst "tenant in-situ" means there is a tenant currently living in the property.

You are correct that if someone buys the property and you are still living in there at completion the new owner will become your landlord and your tenancy will just continue. However, if someone is buying the property to live in it is likely they will want vacant possession on completion meaning you will have to be evicted. Some investment buyers may also want vacant possession so that they are free to choose their own tenant(s).

With an AST it is fairly straightforward to evict you if you have a periodic tenancy providing the landlord can get the paperwork in order.

See G_M's Guide to Ending/Renewing an AST for more information.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sitting tenants usually have a regulated tenancy which began before 1989. They have more rights than a tenant on an assured shorthold tenancy (which you have)

Having said that many people do not know the difference and use the term sitting tenant to mean the same as a tenant in situ.

It sounds to me as if your landlord is hedging his bets with you. If the new buyer wants the property as a buy to let then you could stay on or, as already said, the new owner may want their own tenant. Or your present LL could evict you. (I am presuming you are on a periodic tenancy?)

You cannot do much at the moment if you want to stay. You will have to wait until it is sold and then find out whether you can stay or not. Keep the email about giving you two months' rent if it is sold but you may want to check if this means if it is sold (full stop) or only if you are asked to leave.

Personally with such a short lease I would be surprised if this sold quickly.

You could, of course find another rental property and give in your notice.

If it were me I would certainly be looking for another property because this sale looks like it could be a long one and I wouldn't want the inconvenience of viewings and/or the eviction process or a new landlord. (You can tell I like to be in control and avoid stress!)

Up to you - no guarantees either way.
  • WJ61
    WJ61 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is a periodic tenancy now. He did try to sell it before i moved in but because of the lease it didn't sell.

I still have that email :) I think he offered me the 2 months rent until its sold so i could continue to pay his mortgage on the flat as i don't think it will sell quickly.

Thanks so much for the advice i am much clearer now .

oh meant i say .. if i give notice he says its 2months it does not say that in my tenancy agreement and i thought if it was a periodic tenancy i only need to give one month ?

:)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have a statutory periodic tenancy and you pay your rent monthly then you are required to give one rental period of notice. It's all explained in the link I gave you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whateer promises he makes regarding compensation etc, get it confirmed properly in writing (ie a letter), with all the conditions clearly laid out.

Personally, I would turn down an offer of payment at the end of the tenancy which (being pessimistic) might be witheld and turn into an extended arguement after you've left and when you just want to get on with your life.

Negotiate. eg ask for the rent to be completely waived during any month in which there are viewings, surveys etc. Obviously this is outragous and the LL will refuse.

But half-rent as compensation for the interruptions to your home life is a reasonable compromise. That way you get some benefit out of the interference and uncertainty whether the property sells or not, and you get it during the tenancy, not after.

I would also specify how many viewings you'll accept, how often, and maybe when, just in case they become excessive.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Can you discover from each of the viewers, what their plans are ? If they say, "Granny / little Imogen is gong to love this place" or "I should easily be able to rent this out" ; then you''ll have an idea. Are most of the flats in your block leased, or owned ? That might give you an idea of what sort of person will be looking to buy it.
    Maybe someone else who renting in the block is looking to move out soon, so you could move in.

Definite good advice about looking for somewhere to move. It's probably a good idea to have a de-clutter of junk ; which helps whether you move or not.
  • jvaughan1709
    Options
    Hi sorry to post here I'm not 110% on how to create a post. Our estate agent has just told us our landlord is sell the house we live in and as hour tenancy is up on August 26th so they don't need to service us notice they just won't renew the tenancy. Is that right?
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    He's trying to bribe you to leave which is fair enough of just take it and move rather than go through the hassle.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi sorry to post here I'm not 110% on how to create a post. Our estate agent has just told us our landlord is sell the house we live in and as hour tenancy is up on August 26th so they don't need to service us notice they just won't renew the tenancy. Is that right?
    No one can be 110% on anything. It's impossible.

No - if your landlord wants you to leave when the tenancy 'is up', he has to serve you a S21 Notice 2 months in advance. And even then you don't have to leave.

See the link in post 2 above.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WJ61 wrote: »
    Is there a difference in the sayings sitting tenant or tenant in situ. It has been advertised as tenant in situ.

Don't get hung up on the words in the ad. They're irrelevant - they're just telling potential buyers that you live there, and there won't be vacant possession on completion. What's important is what your actual tenancy says.
    What happens if its sold and the buyer wants to move in? I am being told that if its sold the new buyer automatically becomes my new landlord?

Yes, he does. Your tenancy continues unchanged, apart from the identity of the landlord. The new landlord would have to give you notice in the same way as your existing one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure