Are you a woman over 60 who doesn’t get a state pension? Get £1000s back

Options

Comments

• surrobeth
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    so anyone retiring after 2010 who have already paid the extra to give themselves 39 years have effectifly thrown 9 years contributions down the Toilet?
    It depends when they paid it, if it was between 25th May 2006 and 26 July 2007 you can get a refund.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/vol-c2-letter.htm
    MFiT-T2 challenge member #59
    Aiming to pay of £30k from my mortgage between Dec '09 and Dec '12
  • Wonderwoman_2
    Options
    EdInvestor wrote: »
    If you are retiring before April 2010, you should pay it in 2009.If retiring after 2010 and you already have 30 years you don't need to pay it as the number of years needed to get the full pension will have been reduced.
    If I am retiring after 2010 but don't have 30 yrs?? Sorry to be difficult!!!
  • sixtyplus
    Options
    :confused: We had two children born 1966 and 1968. I took up part-time work (lunchtime supervisor at the local school)when the youngest reached 6.
    Another child came along in 1979 and I stopped work until he was 6.

I eventually took up full time employment, but on retiring 2 years ago my pension not what I expected, just over 60.00 per week. I challenged this because of the years bring up my children, but have been told that this is my entitlement.

Does this sound right? Do I have a claim? Can I buy back at this late stage?I have to admit to finding it all totally confusing!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If I am retiring after 2010 but don't have 30 yrs?? Sorry to be difficult!!!

Counting the years you have plus the years you still intend to work before retiring do you then have 30 years?

If you will there is no need to pay anything. If you won't then you might want to pay some.
  • hellojaney
    Options
    Hi,,my parents called about this today,,they were told it was a load of rubbish and had never actually been fully put forward??
    they said she would have to pay UPFRONT £1600 and it would not even be worth her effort in the long run!:confused: they also told her my fathers pension is £87.(got full stamp)but my uncle gets over £100.
  • DavidMeek
    Options
    :mad: My wife has spent over an hour on the phone today to be told that you cannot deduct the outstanding contributions from any lump sum you may be entitled to, and as her rebate will cover five years they cannot give her an exact amount of rebate???? Any suggestions.
  • Wonderwoman_2
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Counting the years you have plus the years you still intend to work before retiring do you then have 30 years?

If you will there is no need to pay anything. If you won't then you might want to pay some.

Thanks so much for all help but I come back to my original question - is it better to pay it now or to hang on to my money til the 2009 expiry date??? Once again apologies to sound so dim!!!
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Unless you get a reduction for paying early, I would put it into a high interest savings account and pay it in 2009.

Do you need to buy those years?
  • Pippachops
    Options
    Next March i am 60, but my husband is not 65 till 2013 (ie both born in 1948).
    I have worked approximately 18 years (Full Stamp).

Do i have any pension entitlements when i reach 60 or do i wait until my husband is 65?

Kind Regards Pippachops
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    sixtyplus wrote: »
    :confused: We had two children born 1966 and 1968. I took up part-time work (lunchtime supervisor at the local school)when the youngest reached 6.
    Another child came along in 1979 and I stopped work until he was 6.

I eventually took up full time employment, but on retiring 2 years ago my pension not what I expected, just over 60.00 per week. I challenged this because of the years bring up my children, but have been told that this is my entitlement.

Does this sound right? Do I have a claim? Can I buy back at this late stage?I have to admit to finding it all totally confusing!

You will not be credited any HRP for bringing up the children before 1978, and after that only if you paid the full stamp.

So if you paid the full stamp, you should have (I think) -

Paid contributions from 1974 -1979
    HRP from 1979 - 1985
    Paid contributions from 1985-2005

I make that 25 years, with 6 years HRP, which if you have already retired is not enough to get a full pension.

This is assuming there were no contributions before 1966 and that all the years mentioned are complete tax years. You may not have earned enough to pay NI when you were a lunchtime supervisor (I didn't) and seeing as it was before 1978 you would not have got HRP either. Things will change if your situation is different to what I have said above.
    I stress I am only an amateur, maybe Edinvestor or another expert, will correct me if I am wrong.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure