Home wireless security cameras

Options
JEN22
JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
Has anyone any idea on wireless home security cameras. Ideally I don't want any wires . Would like to be able to move the camera about. Do they stick on or have to be drilled?

Also do the camera door bells have to be drilled or do they stick on?

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'd imagine any external camera would need to be physically mounted else it would be too easy for someone to steal it. That doesn't mean you couldn't use double-sided tape to stick it on - just that it's probably not advisable.
  • rajeshk4u
    rajeshk4u Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not sure if you are going to get truly wireless, as it would need to be battery powered.

I have a wireless camera, but it has to be powered from the mains. I can move the camera around, it is very easy, as it is basically USB powered, similar to a mobile phone charger. It is a thin cable. It will talk to my router wirelessly and any alerts come to my phone. Mine is an indoor camera. Generally the picture quality if average, so don't expect high details, unless you have very good lighting. Even if they claim to be HD. Motion detection is good.

In night vision, a car's light can blind the camera etc...

In theory you could power off a power-bank, but I am not sure how long that will last, but okay for temporary situation.

If someone steals you camera, then the information is also gone, as the memory card is inside there, however, some have cloud backup, which is a paid option.
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Netgear Arlo cameras around the house. Very secure and never caused any problems. The battery in each camera lasts several months.
  • Grumpyoldmoo
    Grumpyoldmoo Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought Blink off Amazon, highly recommend. 2 yr battery life & no wires, notifications & videos are sent direct to my mobile phone/iPad. Easy to set up, & arm/disarm individual cameras. You can lengthen/shorten videos to suit your preference
    Feb'15 £118411.00 Jan '16 £112665.10 Jan 17 £106790.00, Jan 18 £99268.10 April ‘19 £57052.26, Oct ‘20 £46015.42 £2.00 Savers Club, 🎖, 2015 £332, 2016 £356, 2017 £312, 2018 £254, 2019 £668, 2020 £880.00, 2021 £104, 2022 £158, 2023 £68, 2024 Emergency Fund £2500/£1000 :j
  • rricaresad33
    Options
    IftiBashir wrote: »
    I use Netgear Arlo cameras around the house. Very secure and never caused any problems. The battery in each camera lasts several months.
    I'm actually using the same ones and I'm also glad with this decision, seems to work just fine.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would a battery camera such as Blink work correctly if it were attached to the inside of a glass window pane but facing towards the outside of the house? Would motion be detected?
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Options
    Would a battery camera such as Blink work correctly if it were attached to the inside of a glass window pane but facing towards the outside of the house? Would motion be detected?

Will not detect motion through the glass
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JEN22 wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea on wireless home security cameras. Ideally I don't want any wires . Would like to be able to move the camera about. Do they stick on or have to be drilled?

Arlo. They come supplied with magnetic mounts, but if you're going to put them outside, probably best to get some after-market mounts which will screw into door frame, window frame or wall. Easily found on Amazon. Cameras are white, you can get black neoprene sleeves to make them less apparent.

Battery powered, the cameras communicate wirelessly with a base unit which should be hard-wired with ethernet cable to your broadband router. That's the only wiring you need, apart from mains power to the base unit.

Get more mounts than cameras and you can easily move them around. Place them on window frames and you can open window to reach camera.

Folks above say the batteries last a few months - take care over not letting them get motion-activated too much (by disabling them if you're moving around outside), use the Panasonic Industrial range of batteries, and you can get around 14 months life out of them.

Hope this helps. Ask more if you want.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure