Non-Fault Car Scrape - No MOT?

Options
Hi all,
Earlier today an old lady mindlessly pulled out from a car park on the other side of the road and even though I slammed the brakes she clearly didn't know what she was doing and has scraped and scuffed my driverside front wheel. I rang up my insurance, went through all the details and was told this was a non-fault incident and they would deal with it. I've also organised for a courtesy car when my car gets repaired.

After coming off the phone I discovered that my MOT had ran out last week, and have booked one for Monday morning. I'm now scared that this may invalidate my claim, and worse that my insurance maybe voided? The car was completely roadworthy and I was even on the way back from changing my tyres.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Most insurance policies don't include any requirement for you to have an MOT certificate - just a clause about the need for your car to be roadworthy. Even if your did say that you must have MOT the insurer could only refuse to pay a claim if the breach of the policy terms was a factor in the claim itself. So unless the accident was somehow caused by the lack of a piece of paper (it's not obvious how that could happen) the fact that your MOT had run out will have no effect on the claim.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The only downside to having no mot in this instance would be if the car is deemed a write off

Were that to happen then the write off settlement would be impacted (you should get the market immediately prior to the incident - a car with no mot is worth less than if it had an not.

But from the damage you report this doesn't look to mean a
    write off
  • carscratch759
    Options
    Thank you both, you have cleared up the majority of my worries and I'll try to put it behind me and hope for the best.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Hi all,
    she clearly didn't know what she was doing and has scraped and scuffed my driverside front wheel.I've also organised for a courtesy car when my car gets repaired.

Why not fit the spare and just drop the wheel in for repair?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not fit the spare and just drop the wheel in for repair?
    Maybe they don't have a spare as is the case with many cars these days.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    Earlier today an old lady mindlessly pulled out from a car park on the other side of the road and even though I slammed the brakes she clearly didn't know what she was doing and has scraped and scuffed my driverside front wheel. I rang up my insurance, went through all the details and was told this was a non-fault incident and they would deal with it. I've also organised for a courtesy car when my car gets repaired.

After coming off the phone I discovered that my MOT had ran out last week, and have booked one for Monday morning. I'm now scared that this may invalidate my claim, and worse that my insurance maybe voided? The car was completely roadworthy and I was even on the way back from changing my tyres.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This will cost you for 5 years.....

A non fault claim to declare for 5 years all because of a scraped wheel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure