I’m new to this - Is this call a scam?

Options

Comments

• fluffybunnywunny
    Options
    I have just arranged to go to their Milton Keynes Travel Centre in a couple of weeks. I was Googling them while I was on the phone. If I can get a 'free' holiday out of it then I don't mind sitting for a few hours. If you go in forewarned and forearmed then I can't see what the problem will be.
  • claptonboy
    Options
    They just called me. They said I won a holiday and should be super excited but they were more excited than me and they did sound like proper scammers. I have asked them a few times when/where I entered this competition, they didn't give a clear answer. I talked with a few different ppl who took my address to send me all the details of the prize - that I need to go collect near Regent Street this weekend, they were very pushy for me to confirm a time slot.

Then I stumbled upon this thread.. needless to say I will not attend the appointment and I've blocked their number on my phone.
  • Selar
    Selar Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Just had a call from this company telling me I'd won a 'free' holiday. Much the same as everyone else, I'd won 7 nights luxury accommodation in one of four destinations. All I had to do was come to the office in Regent Street to collect my free holiday which would take 90 minutes. That was when the penny dropped and I pushed at this point for the catch, asking if this was a timeshare talk. Was reassured no and only a presentation of other services on offer from the company with no hard sell.

I did agree to booking a date and time but decided to cancel it after doing some research online. It would appear that it does involve a timeshare type sell but peoples experience differs on how hard that sell is. Some have gone along and it has lasted 90 minutes while others talk of still being there 4 hours of hard sell later.

It seems from what others have posted online it is possible to get the free holiday promised if you're willing to sit through this type of presentation and resist signing up to anything else. I decided to cancel my booking because while my husband and I are strong with this sort of thing and wouldn't feel pressured to sign up to anything, we just didn't have the energy to put ourselves through the ordeal. I was glad I did because the person I spoke to on the phone was very abrupt and defensive when I explained why I was cancelling. That reassured me I'd made the correct decision. If they were like that on the phone, what would they be like when after 90 minutes (or longer) we left saying thanks but no thanks but we'll have our free holiday.. I ain't got no time for that!
  • Joolez0
    Options
    Attended a meeting in Conduit street London last Tuesday . Trains a nightmare so was 20 mins late . Hannah and Layla introduced themselves and we saw a 5 min film on what the company was about (ish ) . Then showed to out desk , asked on holiday habits , how we booked , where we’d like to go , do , and wish list on a five year plan .... both girls were not pushy just building our holiday profiles .
    Had teas & coffee and water on tap , took care of us , and had a few breaks.
    All seemed interesting , just provided accommodation that would be upgraded to lux at many resorts and hotels throughout the globe .
    Couldn’t commit and once we stated we were not going to , were given £75 in vouchers of our choice and offer of a free weeks holiday with the proviso that we attend another two hour meeting in Tenerife .
    Booked Tenerife , 1 week next year , office we’re very helpful with flight quotes but we decided to book and use our avios points .... will see how it pans out ...
  • warbski76
    Options
    I've just had a call from them; sounded too good to be true and told them so but they insisted there was no catch.

I haven't committed to going to their presentation but just wanted to check: if I do go but refuse to sign up for anything, do I still get the free week accommodation? If so, is it at one of their resorts advertised online?

To be honest, I'm willing to sit through it if the holiday is guaranteed (and somewhere decent).

Thanks
  • LisaSoulGirl
    Options
    Hi all, we had a call today. In the past, we've done rather well out of timeshare promotions (had free accommodation + parks tickets in Orlando) without buying anything. We're thinking of going along with it, but could any MoneySavers advise what happens once you're on holiday? Are there set times of the year you have to go? Are there admin fees or is there some other way they make money out of you, so you end up paying just as much as a cheap package? Any advice would be most gratefully received :-)
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi all, we had a call today. In the past, we've done rather well out of timeshare promotions (had free accommodation + parks tickets in Orlando) without buying anything. We're thinking of going along with it, but could any MoneySavers advise what happens once you're on holiday? Are there set times of the year you have to go? Are there admin fees or is there some other way they make money out of you, so you end up paying just as much as a cheap package? Any advice would be most gratefully received :-)

As you have "done rather well out of timeshare promotions" in the past there is no reason to suppose anything much has changed, travel times etc will all be in the details [STRIKE]the scammers[/STRIKE] they send you
  • Crewlover
    Options
    We have been CLC members for many years and have enjoyed some good holidays in Tenerife,Scotland,Cornwall and Wales.
    The hotels are of good standard.
    The obvious draw backs are the increasing maintenance costs,the fact that when you fly abroad you have to pay for your flights,changeovers and food,and their are better value for money deals out there.
    Also in the past there have been restrictions as to when you can book the UK hotels which were often booked up and usually by potential timeshare purchasers,hence stopping members going.
    We are now in the position where we have enjoyed regular holidays to the same UK sites but want to move on and do something different.
    We also don't want to be lumbered with the annual maintenance cost .
    I have tried to be as unbiased as possible in my thought process so you can assess the risks of joining.
    How ever could anyone tell me the latest best way of disposing of our points based timeshare be it sale or release back to CLC.
    Thank you
  • marbro8
    Options
    We have received an email today telling us we have won a holiday, i won't be answering it, we have heard horror stories of timeshare sales over the years, as we have holidayed in Tenerife for the last 15 years, i thought that it had died a death tbh, but we are regularly questioned at Tenerife airport by them, they start with a few simple questions to get you onside, then get your details and bombard you with phone calls and emails, i can't understand why they are still trying to sell this concept?it's expencive it's outdated it's not very user friendly and the reason one of my friends gave his back(after years of legal letters) was because the service charges were more expensive than a normal holiday would have cost, to wherever they wanted and whatever time suited them, anyone thinking of going to a presentation just bare in mind, yes you may get something free but it will be hard work.:(
  • Clare77
    Options
    Just be persuaded out of my £90 this morning feeling a bit silly,alarm bells rang from the off but got sucked in regardless,have requested a refund and cancelled,cant be bothered with it all.plus holidays for me are all inclusive,the best way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure