I’m new to this - Is this call a scam? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

I’m new to this - Is this call a scam?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Compers Chat Corner
37 replies 62.3K views
124»

Replies

• Clare77 wrote: »
    Just been persuaded out of my £90 this morning feeling a bit silly,alarm bells rang from the off but got sucked in regardless,have requested a refund and cancelled,cant be bothered with it all.plus holidays for me are all inclusive,the best way.
    need to read the small print!
  • Actually it's not a fake reply. We have also just come from a presentation and had exactly the same experience. We are currently in the free hotel relaxing
  • We got suckered into paying £180 (2 x £90) for their presentation in Cheltenham in January. They told us we have won a holiday in the Costa del Sol. I found this site afterwards and wish we had researched the company more carefully before paying them anything.
    If we go to their Cheltenham office listen politely for 90 minutes and say as little as possible will they refund our money for the hotel? Is there any point in calling them now and saying that we have changed our minds and are not interested in going. Is there any chance that they would refund our money.
  • smiffysmiffy Forumite
    169 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just had a call too - how lucky I am as I've won a holiday!

They told me that I'd entered at the Christmas Ideal Home Show - which I had attended recently.

I was driving at the time of "Winning" and they realise this so have emailed me the details rather than putting me through to book into the sale pitch.

They close at 3pm today for Christmas, so their won't be any more winner until 2020
  • kaizokukaizoku Forumite
    11 posts
    Second Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    smiffy wrote: »
    Just had a call too - how lucky I am as I've won a holiday!

They told me that I'd entered at the Christmas Ideal Home Show - which I had attended recently.

I was driving at the time of "Winning" and they realise this so have emailed me the details rather than putting me through to book into the sale pitch.

They close at 3pm today for Christmas, so their won't be any more winner until 2020

And I'm the first "winner" of this year :D
    Reading through the experience of the others, I think I'll also share my experience with CLC World.
    I was surprised to get a call from CLC World - and it wasn't a withheld number either which I consider a good sign, and there was actually a person on the other side, rather than an automated voice telling me I had won something.
    He said I had won a holiday with CLC World because I went to the Ideal Home Show - I didn't! I just booked the free tickets and ended up not going to the event at all!! He confirmed the same details as others have mentioned - age between 35-70, income above £35k, and then passed me on to someone else.
    The second person said that I had won a 7day stay at one of their 4 resorts-Orlando, Costa Del Sol, Turkey and Tenerife. The 7day stay will be totally free of charge, and all we had to pay was for the flight tickets to our chosen destination.
    The conditions were, we had to go into one of their offices to attend a 90minute presentation type thing to listen to them talking about their company, and at the end of which I will get a £75 voucher. This voucher will reduce down to £50 if I decide to go on a weekend.
    The only charge she mentioned was if we decided to go on holiday during school holidays, we will have to pay £29 admin charge, and apart from that, there are no costs. I was asked to book a time slot, and she mentioned that they are only giving away 500 of these free holidays so I should book the appointment date soon.

This all still seemed dubious, but I've never won anything, (except the odd £5 from a scratchcard!) and was cautiously excited that I had finally won something. So I am sorely disappointed that what I had "won", is a standard offer on their website right now!
    So I hadn't "won" anything and reading all of your comments makes me think that I might be in for a lot of hassle with these guys!

I did book an appointment with these guys, but I'm going to call and cancel the appointment as I don't think I want to spend half a day with these guys!!
  • edited 25 February at 10:22PM
    mjm3346mjm3346 Forumite
    43.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 February at 10:22PM
    As a journalist and PR guy I've done my share of leading people to believe my version of the truth 

So just happened to find this thread on the internet (cannot think why you would even be looking for any comments about them if you are so happy with them) then joined the forum to make a positive post about the company - trying to lead perhaps with your version of the truth?  (maybe like some other sites existing members gain from the more people who join)

• Graham_KingGraham_King Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I found the thread because I was trying to discover how long it took to build CLC World at Fuengirola. (I was curious because it's so huge.) And Google took me here. I thought the number of negative comments was so unfair that, yes, I joined the forum in order to throw in a positive comment to balance the argument.