Dodgy text message

Options
Apexs
Apexs Posts: 35 Forumite
Hi I got this message today...

FreeMsg: You've subscribed to TopStream for £4.50 a week after a 1 day free trial from TopStreaming until you text STOP to 60367 to opt out. HELP? 01303370057

Previous to this my phone had opened some random website that I had not done myself, I took my phone out of my pocket to check the time, saw this random site open and closed it, a few minutes after I got this text message.

Normally I ignore messages like this, but after searching Google and reading about similar text, I sent the stop message, I was told I would be charged , but not told how much for sending stop...

How can dodgy companies get away with this? I did not click on anything, my phone was in my pocket

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because they are located in a foreign country. You might ask your phone provider to provide a way to block calls from overseas, but I doubt any phone company will do this as they want their share of the revenue this creates. You should not have replied.

If everyone stopped replying to these messages there would be no revenue for the scammers and they would stop.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure