Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    under 18's can't be perused

Not read like a book then?:)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You might consider Santander mini current account?

https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/123-mini-current-account
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 2:44PM
    Options
    THB wrote: »
    I recently lost my card while out, but didn't report it lost as I knew I had no money in the account, and none was going in. Someone used my card to go £277 overdrawn at a petrol station.......
    THB wrote: »
    I do not see why I should have to switch to another bank I've been with Lloyd's since last year and have never done anything wrong....

I expect the reason for closing your account and 'what you have done wrong' is to not comply with with their Personal Banking terms and conditions:
    2.3 You must tell us as soon as possible (see'How to
    contact us') if you:
    a. think any device or security details have been
    lost, stolen, damaged or are being misused;

Also, if the account had a zero balance when the card was stolen I'd be interested to know whether the £277 worth of transactions were made with the use of a PIN or if 9 or more contactless transactions were made?
  • Harbour_Hopeful
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    I expect the reason for closing your account and 'what you have done wrong' is to not comply with with their Personal Banking terms and conditions:

Also, if the account had a zero balance when the card was stolen I'd be interested to know whether the £277 worth of transactions were made with the use of a PIN or if 9 or more contactless transactions were made?

In some cases, often on a vending machine or parking ticket system, cardholder interaction is not required. The card is inserted and the transaction is processed.

In the case of this, either the petrol pump didn't require cardholder verification or the person knew the PIN.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    is it possible to use a debit card for a 277 transaction without using the pin (apart from online purchases) - can you sign these days (ie someone forged your signature at the petrol station)??
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    by the way consider the bank VERY generous for refunding you when you didnt report the card lost....
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    by the way consider the bank VERY generous for refunding you when you didnt report the card lost....

OP is under 18 and therefore cannot be held liable for a debt. The bank should never have allowed the transaction, so they are in error, and that is why they refunded the money, i.e. absorbed the loss.

I agree that it was very remiss not to report the lost card.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    This is stating the obvious, but a 16 year old can pay for petrol and other things at petrol station even though they're too young to drive a car!

If I think it's a bit suss then I'm pretty sure the bank does too...
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does an under 19 account have contactless?
    (I don't think so) so transactions must have been done using a PIN - so the question to be asked is - was the PIN with the card? Did the OP lend the card to anybody or previously handed the card and PIN to somebody to buy something?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does an under 19 account have contactless?
    (I don't think so) so transactions must have been done using a PIN - so the question to be asked is - was the PIN with the card? Did the OP lend the card to anybody or previously handed the card and PIN to somebody to buy something?

Clearly this. Dodgy af.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport