Online Probate - recommend!

Options
Just thought I would share my experience of the online probate process. I was executing my Grandmothers estate and everything was pretty straightforward. I obviously still had to gather up all the information first.

The first form which was to notify the details of estate was very easy to do, and mostly consisted of yes/no questions that I could answer from the information I'd gathered to form the accounts. That form gave me a couple of figures that it told me I would need for the probate application form and the point at which I would need them.

The actual probate application was again, very quick, and on completion they ask you send the original will and death certificate to them. I received an acknowledgement the day after that it had been received and the email advised that they now had 20 working days to process the application at the end of which they would either grant probate or request more information.

That was March 7th, and today I received an email advising probate had been granted and my documentation would arrive in 5 days.

I'm really impressed with how well this system seems to work and how clear it is. If you are able to use this service I would definitely recommend it - its not often you can say that about a Government process!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Totally agree with you. For a beta service, it worked really well.

I reported the Estate's value to the HMRC online, and then could immediately Apply for Probate online, (including uploading the death certificate & ordering extra copies & paying online.)

The only slight delay was that the other executor applying for probate did not have access to a computer for a while (in order to approve the figures etc). The access code was sent to him by phone, & each time he tried to then access the required link via the phone, the access code had timed out.

I contacted the very helpful Helpline, who said they recommend the other executor always has access to a computer & phone. I suggested to them that they add this to the notes, and also that the code can take 24 hours to arrive.

All the paperwork arrived from the Probate Office today. Can't fault the process.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there no requirement to swear an oath for Probate any more?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It was all done online - ie so no need for me to go to the Probate office or Solicitor's office. It was included as part of 3 enhancements:
    (1) a new statement of truth for you to declare that the information provided is correct, which removes the need for you to swear an oath in person
    (2) the function to pay the fee online removing the need to post a cheque to the Probate Service
    (3) a ‘save and return’ function allows you to save and revisit an application if you need to find further information. This allows a part finished application to be saved and completed later.
  • 4leafclover_2
    Options
    Congratulations Katiepoppycat, good decision on your part, I really wish we had checked the advice here first and done the same as yourself.
  • Missmargaret
    Options
    I'm attempting to make an online application, but so far am finding the process really frustrating.

The section where you notify the value of the estate has been broken for the last few days and until I have done this cannot proceed further.

The helpline directed me to technical support, who directed me to HMRC support and then after over 60 minutes on the phone, I was directed back to the original help number.

Perhaps it will be mended overnight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport