Discussion ... ASHP(Air/Air) with Solar pv ....

Options

Comments

• WoolyMammoth
    Options
    Thanks Z, I did challenge them on that (in as nice a way as I'm capable of :rotfl:) and they have come back this morning to admit that only "if the air conditioning unit is installed above ground floor level or is on the front of the building then planning permission would be required" - fortunately, neither of these is true for me so panic over!:T
    South East coast
    4.62kW LG NeON2 3.68kW inverter ESE roof 30° pitch
    1.34kW LG NeON2 1.5kW SE inverter ESE garage 35° pitch
    Tesla Powerwall 2
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Also, I (foolishly) sent a query to my local council asking what requirements/restrictions they might have for domestic air con units and they told me that I need planning permission!!!:(
    Shirley that isn't correct?

I have just had an ASHP installed on my gable end about 2.5m above ground level. I didn’t really consider planning permission but having read the info in the link below I am thinking I should be ok. If anyone knows differently please advise me.

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/tech/heat-pumps-and-planning-permission/
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • WoolyMammoth
    Options
    My local planning department sent me a link to The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 Schedule 2 Part 14 class G regulations (sorry but as a new user I cannot post links).
    It seems to me that this is open to interpretation...
    Mine will be on a side wall over my driveway and visible from the highway so this could be taken as breaching G.3 (b) and (c), but all my installers have said that there will be no problem.
    I would suggest that your installer would have advised you if there was likely to be an issue with your setup - based on the number of domestic aircon/ASHP installations (all without planning permission) which have been allowed you will be fine.
    South East coast
    Tesla Powerwall 2
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience either fitting or using one of the single electriQ ASHP (appliances direct)?

I know a few on this thread have either installed or have linked to them but would anyone actually recommend them?
    Previously an ASHP was a non starter for me but now Ive upgraded to 5KW solar (4kW split across W/E facing roof and now 1KW south) and a 9.6kW battery system (sofar and me3000sp) I am starting to think about it.
    The QC system I could install myself so is now within budget and due to the vagaries of the Northern Ireland planning system the only one I could realistically fit (putting on front of house or on gable would require planning permission, so add in installer +fees it wouldnt make financial sense).

I have oil fired central heating and with the increase in battery I can run the immersion for hot water but would also consider the ASHP for heating in shoulder months and for air con for the 3 days a year it would be required!

Im not going to do away with the oil any time soon and ashp at NI prices would just be too expensive to run during the winter but for around 500 quid it might take 3-4 years at oil prices to pay back
  • WoolyMammoth
    Options
    Quick update:
    Had the Panasonic Etherea 3.5kW ASHP fitted last Friday. After the amazing weather in the second half of February I was looking forward to being able to run it every day, but the weather so far in March has been a little underwhelming!
    I'm still feeling my way as I don't currently have a way to monitor its power usage (this is on its way) so have only been running it when I know that we have solar surplus.
    Still, have been able to run it almost every day and it has made a real difference both to the temperature in the living room and the amount the GCH had been running :T
    South East coast
    Tesla Powerwall 2
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick update:
    Had the Panasonic Etherea 3.5kW ASHP fitted last Friday...
    Hi

Welcome to the club & hope you become as impressed with the combination's performance as a number of us seem to be .... :cool:

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,140 Forumite
    Options
    Quick update:
    Had the Panasonic Etherea 3.5kW ASHP fitted last Friday.
    I'm still feeling my way as I don't currently have a way to monitor its power usage (this is on its way) so have only been running it when I know that we have solar surplus.
    Still, have been able to run it almost every day and it has made a real difference both to the temperature in the living room and the amount the GCH had been running :T
    If it's of any assistance for the three months Dec, Jan & Feb our two Mitsubishi SRK20ZSX's ran for a total of 868 hours and consumed 460 kWh/units of electicity. I've currently no way of knowing how much we paid for and how much came via Solar. A reduction of 1539kWh's in gas consumpton resulted compared to the year before, but with weather conditions so different between the two it's difficult to draw any direct comparison. At the end of the day a sizeable reduction in the burning of FF was achieved which ultimately is the goal we seek.:)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • mgbond
    mgbond Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2019 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Hi all,

I have recently fitted a 6kw system (3.6E/2.4W) on the south coast and am loving it. I had a quote for an 3 way Air to Air system that fed two wall units down stairs (kitchen/Living Room) and then fed another ducted system in the loft that would be trunked to the 4 bedrooms at a cost of 4.6k + 5% Vat. This sounds like a good price.

What I'm now interested in is what kind of size Battery would I need to be able to run these and cover household usage during winter months when Solar isn't able to help that much.

For info, PV has been in for the last 9 days and has generated 115Kwh

Can anyone help.
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
    22deg pitch East to west 12 panels on the East and 8 on the West
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    mgbond wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have recently fitted a 6kw system (3.6E/2.4W) on the south coast and am loving it. I had a quote for an 3 way Air to Air system that fed two wall units down stairs (kitchen/Living Room) and then fed another ducted system in the loft that would be trunked to the 4 bedrooms at a cost of 4.6k + 5% Vat. This sounds like a good price.

What I'm now interested in is what kind of size Battery would I need to be able to run these and cover household usage during winter months when Solar isn't able to help that much.

For info, PV has been in for the last 9 days and has generated 115Kwh

Can anyone help.

Hi

Like you I have solar panels mounted on east and West facing Roos, an I Boost and more recently I have installed a wall mounted ASHP.

With the East /West panels you will be staggered by how little PV is generated in December and January. You will find your daytime consumption and IBoost will mop up any spare capacity so a battery won’t be any use to you in winter.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • mgbond
    mgbond Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2019 at 9:24AM
    Options
    I understand the winter months will be hard but then the battery will be charged over night at the cheap rate so still covering peak times and I hope ASHP, so need to size battery accordingly. Oh and I live in the Sunniest place in the uk (officially) lol
    6kWp system, 20 x 300W Longi Solar panels with a Solis 6.0 inverter + Wifi and iBoost
    22deg pitch East to west 12 panels on the East and 8 on the West
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure