We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Garden renovation

Options
Hi Everyone,

We are beginning our garden makeover and I'm looking for some advice. At the minute we have no turf/grass whatsoever as the garden was 50% patio and 50% gravel. Everything has been laid on liners so hopefully it will be easy enough to get the waste up and out.

Once the liners etc are up am I right in thinking I would need to lay topsoil down and then turf? Or would the soil that's underneath everything at the moment be ok to lay turf onto?

Thanks!
Debt free finally :j
First house purchase ... 2018 :j

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nobody can tell you because none of us has seen your soil.

If it was my soil, It would be fine to take turf, but not until I'd dug and raked it over, because it would be compacted. With the weather as it is, I'd look to do that in May.

If it was the soil in my garden from10 years ago, it would never be much good without importing new and mixing it in. That's what I did to an area that was covered with geofabric, before I turfed it prior to to selling the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure