Electric cars

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya Nige, just to clear this up, when the government changed (attacked) the FiT rates in early 2016 they combined the 0-4kWp and 4-10kWp bands, so now it starts off with a 0-10kWp all at the same rate, so ideal for a 5kWp system running through a 3.68kW capped inverter for DNO reasons.
    Thanks for that. I suspected I was out of date.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    No it is not, or not to any meaningful amount. Do you have an EV?
    Yes, I have an EV. I fully understand that the range drops with cold weather. But, it also drops with the heating/aircon on. And this by up to 10% summer or winter. To me, even a few miles could be "meaningful" depending on the journey I want to do.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not convinced

Please do be. With 16,000 miles and 2 years of electric driving under my belt, I'd generally say that an electric car will go roughly 1.5 times further in summer, than in winter (here in the UK. That's about battery chemistry. Moving a car takes so very much electricity, compared to heating it. And lights, stereo barely register.
    I was looking around the eGolf and one of the issues they have is in the world market they have to deal with extremes of temperature
    They fit electric seats because the warm surfaces create the illusion of warmth
    heated seats and steering wheel

Ditto for other EVs.
    There isn't enough spare energy dissipated from the motor to warm the cabin in colder climates

Eh? There isn't really any. Any heat from an electric car has to be produced, hence the energy usage. Heated seats and steering wheel don't give the impression of warmth, they provide warmth! And they do it more directly because you're in contact with them, and for less energy - they're more efficient than warming the air, is the short version, so they're a more popular option on EVs than ICE cars.
    I'm sure I recall mention (somewhere?) of a 1kW heat pump for EV warmth

I've seen 2kW max usage on my Zoe, whilst standing still, just as a very rough guide.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Eh? There isn't really any. Any heat from an electric car has to be produced

The motor and power electronics release heat while in use, as does the battery itself. The heat can be recovered to warm the cabin and battery where necessary.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The motor and power electronics release heat while in use, as does the battery itself. The heat can be recovered to warm the cabin and battery where necessary.
    Yes, but not when you 'turn the key' in the morning. In general, if you're cold, so is the battery, so it needs the heat as much as you do, and should hold onto it for efficiency. From cold, there's no residual heat anywhere. And by the time you're ripping down the motorway, warming the battery up, the cabin will already be warm.
  • Ranjan
    Options
    Electric cars are the future. Its depends which country you from ? in some countries like china already the demand has exceeded supply. Its very easy to maintain and less pars comparing to the regular cars.
  • NigeWick
    Options
    Ranjan wrote: »
    in some countries like china already the demand has exceeded supply.
    I think you'll find that their demand is driven by their government targets and incentives.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ranjan wrote: »
    Electric cars are the future. Its depends which country you from ? in some countries like china already the demand has exceeded supply. Its very easy to maintain and less pars comparing to the regular cars.

Welcome to the forum.

We are asked to give new members a chance, and to be especially nice.

However, try as I may, I can't help thinking that you should have read the preceeding 48 pages before making such sweeping, contentious and unsupported statements as "Electric cars are the future."

Posting in English would also help.;)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

We are asked to give new members a chance, and to be especially nice.

However, try as I may, I can't help thinking that you should have read the preceeding 48 pages before making such sweeping, contentious and unsupported statements as "Electric cars are the future."

Posting in English would also help.;)
    Hi

However, according to the majority of world governments, authoritative international organisations, the automotive industry itself and (in most surveys & polls) the vast majority of the general public the statement "Electric cars are the future." would neither be 'contentious' or 'unsupported', so I really don't follow your point, other than it being a 'contentious and unsupported statement' ...

The simple uncontentious & supportable facts are (i) EVs are here & (ii) EVs are here to stay ... over time even those most resistant to change will need to realise that their options move closer to acceptance, bicycle or walk ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure