Obscene price increase from Scottish Power

Options
johnny_storm
johnny_storm Posts: 258 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Probably like many people this time of year, my tariff is due to end at the end of this month.

Imagine my shock when I see that the next best deal (not the standard tariff) from Scottish power is 40% more expensive.

40%!!!!

I live in a flat, so I have peak and off peak rates.

Day time: 40% increase
Night time: 27% increase

I have to wonder how we'll cope with such eye watering increases in the future. Other than to be sat in the cold and dark.

Comments

• Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Imagine my shock when I see that the next best deal (not the standard tariff) from Scottish power is 40% more expensive.
    Is Scottish Power your current provider? If so, have you tried other providers via a comparison site?
    Stompa
  • johnny_storm
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Is Scottish Power your current provider? If so, have you tried other providers via a comparison site?

Yes, I am with them, and the % is going from the last deal with them ending this month, to another deal with them for another 12 months.

And yes, I am just looking around now. But it would appear those that are much cheaper have terrible customer service reviews.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, I am with them, and the % is going from the last deal with them ending this month, to another deal with them for another 12 months.

And yes, I am just looking around now. But it would appear those that are much cheaper have terrible customer service reviews.

There are some VERY good small suppliers out there: big does not necessarily mean good. In the past 12 months, I have had no issues whatsoever with Zog (gas only); Bulb and Octopus.
  • johnny_storm
    Options
    Bulb is cheaper and would mean a 15% increase for daytime rate (strange to use cheaper and 15% increase in the same sentence), but still an eye watering 24% increase for night time. The night time is when the hot water is heated and Economy 7 heating charged. So very significant to the overall bill.

So although better. Still a huge increase far outstripping inflation. I guess am I not the only one facing such increases, which is why I started the thread.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frankly, I'd forget about customer service.

If you are capable of posting here, you are capable of navigating any supplier's website and entering your readings.

I recently signed myself up to Economy Energy, and my mother up to Outfox the Market. I have no problem with either website.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

• hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had similar here price went through the roof going on to a Standard tariff, check with same supplier Npower for a better long term deal price went up again.
    Pretty much the same for all the biggies out there coming in around 30% more.

Just had 2nd direct debit go out for Outfoxthemarket almost half the biggies wanted on a long term contract dual fuel.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still a huge increase far outstripping inflation. I guess am I not the only one facing such increases, which is why I started the thread.

Energy price increases have absolutely nothing to do with inflation. The cost of energy varies because of the wholesale cost of energy; the relationship of the £ to the US$, and additional costs imposed by Government. The wholesale price now accounts for about 44p in every £ that we pay.
  • johnny_storm
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Energy price increases have absolutely nothing to do with inflation. The cost of energy varies because of the wholesale cost of energy; the relationship of the £ to the US$, and additional costs imposed by Government. The wholesale price now accounts for about 44p in every £ that we pay.

They seem to have nothing to do with wholesale prices either!

You can review those prices here

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/electricity-prices-day-ahead-baseload-contracts-monthly-average-gb

If I look back to my bills from 2010, I see unit price was 10p and 5p vs my new prices of 18p / 8.6p

Are you seeing an 80% increase in wholesale in that chart since 2010? No, me neither.

Of course energy prices should be reflected in inflation. How could they not be?
  • johnny_storm
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Frankly, I'd forget about customer service.

If you are capable of posting here, you are capable of navigating any supplier's website and entering your readings.

I recently signed myself up to Economy Energy, and my mother up to Outfox the Market. I have no problem with either website.

Its not that I am bothered about. Its them actually having a basic level of competence. Using a meter reading. Not taking out the direct debit by mistake 3 times in one month. Not replying to e-mails. Not answering the phone.

After I typed the above, I did a quick search for review for Economy Energy and they are say pretty much what I just said.

"My time is finally ending thank goodness"
    "If only 0 stars were an option!!"
    "Don't go near this company"

I'm sure you can find them on Trustpilot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business