Bought a lemon from private seller!

Options

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    For a £1500 car you have to expect faults, and realise you are always going to be buying another persons problems.

However, I can understand you being rather annoyed he claimed to be private seller. Maybe you can send a letter about intended court action, then if he calls say you will take a few hundred quid to make it dissapear.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 March 2017 at 5:47PM
    Options
    For a £1500 car you have to expect faults, and realise you are always going to be buying another persons problems.
    It's one thing buying a car with faults, it's another when they lie about faults it's very difficult to see/check, a/c for example that just been topped up and works but will stop in a couple of weeks because of the seals. I'm not sure you should expect faults, but certainly put aside some money and be ready to replace wear and tear bits.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    "Hi there, im ringing up about the car you have for sale"
    If answer = "which car" then seller = trader.

Just FYI if anyone else reading this ever buys via a private sale.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would be going down the blackmail route!

Let him know that you have full proof he is a dealer, and unless he gives you a full refund within 7 days, then you will be reporting him to the tax people etc...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • gonthemicrobe
    Options
    Update: Called the guy up and revealed I knew he was a trade seller. He offered to refund my money if I return the car. Might still be some complications as I'm not sure how comfortable I am driving a faulty car to him (it's about 70 miles away) but fingers crossed it gets sorted.

I'm still down a couple of hundred quid for insurance plus a repair I needed to get done on it, which serves me right!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update: Called the guy up and revealed I knew he was a trade seller. He offered to refund my money if I return the car. Might still be some complications as I'm not sure how comfortable I am driving a faulty car to him (it's about 70 miles away) but fingers crossed it gets sorted.

I'm still down a couple of hundred quid for insurance plus a repair I needed to get done on it, which serves me right!

Yes, thats the right outcome. Sadly you'll have to chalk the couple of hundred up to experience, but it could have been a lot worse.
  • gonthemicrobe
    Options
    If it stops me getting into such a situation in future it's £200 well spent!

Getting the car to him might still complicate things. Garage advised not to drive it without topping up on gearbox oil. Gears still shifted fine last time I drove the car so not sure if they're just after the £45 to drain and top up. Not something I want to risk though.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your breakdown cover won't help, then find somebody to transport it through Shiply or the like.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad to hear you have negotiated a refund.

After I got said refund, I would still report him to Trading Standards.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 10:40PM
    Options
    If buying ANY diesel car second hand, learn the mileage DMF will fail and you can set your watch by it usually and if it has no receipt for a new DMF then budget for one if the car is approaching the failure point.
    Not many make 120,000 before they rattle themselves away.

I'm not sure that's correct from my experience. Both cars done recently, one had 150k and didn't need replacement, other was 170k and had some wear but not excessive. Both were done at the same time as clutch.
    Last week I bought a used car from a private seller. It had low mileage, a full year's MoT, plenty of receipts and looked great for its age.
    Glad you're sorted now but hopefully this may be of use for the future. I know there are some exceptions but I would only consider someone to be a private seller if it's their name and it's their address on the V5. Selling "because my wife didn't like it" doesn't cut it with me I'm afraid.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure