Mini meltdown and light bulb moment

Options

Comments

• AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    I've cashed in another 50 points on opinion outpost for another £2.50 paypal credit, I'm on a roll with surveys now, a few pounds a week will soon add up in the Christmas 2018 fund!

OH came home yesterday with a parcel that had arrived at his work, which was the backpack for niece 2, and during my lunch break yesterday I spent £2.13 on sweets for my sisters birthday present. We've set a £10 limit and my aim is to buy as much as possible for £10. I'm going to buy her some Aussie shampoo and conditioner that is on offer in Superdrug for £1.50 each, as she rarely buys herself nice hair and beauty products, then I will have just short of £5 left. I found a craft kit in the cupboard earlier that I received as a gift a couple of christmases ago, she's the crafty one in the family so I have added it to her birthday present box, so thats another thing for her to open.

Not sure what I'm going to get with the remaining £5 but I've got a couple of weeks to sort it.

Today has been my regular day off, I emptied the cupboard so that OH could move it and put the christmas tree in the corner, rather than it being in the centre of the room, I then hoovered and tidied up and wrapped the remaining presents including my sisters birthday stuff.

Been to my mum and dads this afternoon, took a dress with me that i wore on saturday that somehow now has a hole in where the seam has split, so my grandma has taken that home to repair on her sewing machine so that I can wear it for my meal out on saturday.

Once mum had taken grandma and niece 2 home, she sorted out a pair of jeans that she had bought that she doesnt like, so free pair of new jeans for me!

Dad got in from work and mum decided that as she hadnt had chance to get any food in for dinner, we would go out for dinner, so we went to the harvester (Dad paid, woop!)

I've then spent the evening listening to podcasts (a recent discovery, can't believe I haven't discovered them before now, they're perfect to keep me occupied for the long hospital days!) and completing surveys.

Going to tot up exactly how much I've cashed out since seriously starting the surveys in October, I'm guessing it will be around £30 which isnt bad.

Will come back and post an update, I might add the running total onto my signature.
  • AleMrsT
    edited 13 December 2017 at 11:39PM
    Options
    With what I have cashed in so far from prolific, qmee and opinion outpost, as well as what I currently have uncashed on prolific and qmee, the total is £49.04!

I'm pleasantly surprised, definitely going to keep up with them and going to add a running total to my signature, which I think I will update once I cash out. :j

EDITED TO ADD: Edited as I forgot I have 20p in my amazon account that was an additional reward from a Qmee survey :)
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like you've been busy and well done for all the surveying, definitely an incentive when you add it all up :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    So I was doing well with Christmas, then my mum reminded me that an elderly aunt always buys us christmas gifts and I really hadnt budgeted to get her anything!

I nipped on my lunch break and got a rose plant, some fudge and truffles and some nice hand cream, grand total is £4.48, which I feel really cheap only spending that but it is a nice gift that she will like so there is no point spending unneccesarily.

I also needed hand cream, gravy, toothpaste and cotton wool pads so £10.91 spent.

Tonight I finished work at 4pm as the office closed early for the christmas party (which I'm not going to) so I booked in for my beauty treatments, £45 worth of treatments for £20 as I bought the half price voucher as my christmas gift from my grandma. I spent £3.19 on a christmas hot chocolate to take with me to my appointment :eek: It was really nice but such an unneccesary purchase.

OH is on his last shift before christmas tonight so I'm going to wrap the remaining presents then catch up on ironing whilst watching a christmas film.
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Cashed in some more points on opinion outpost so have another £5 being added to paypal and Qmee fund is now up to £9.52, so signature updated with running total, will cash out qmee once it gets to £10. All to be added to paypal/savings for spends until Dec 26th, then anything after that will go to Christmas 2018 savings.
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Well I made it to payday (tomorrow) still with £20 in my account! Haven't spent anything at all since 21st December when I bought myself a £3.50 lunch deal from the supermarket.

I've carried on with surveys over christmas whilst we were (bored) at the in laws, I now have nearly £13 in qmee and have enough points to cash out another £2.50 in opinion outpost. I'm nearly at £60 earnt so far, so thats nearly £20 a month which isnt too bad! All will be added to the christmas 2018 pot.

Had a lovely christmas, spent most of it feeling guilty though. Guilty that I wasnt with my family, and guilty that we got so many lovely generous gifts and weren't able to be as generous in return. OH kept saying it isnt about that and his family would have been happy that we were there on christmas day, but I still feel awful because I really could have budgeted for extra gifts for OH's family but he insisted what he had got was all ok.

Once I get paid tomorrow i'm going to order a bunch of flowers to be delivered to them as a thank you for having us.

SIL has also saved me £97 today, as I was going to sign up to the new body coach 90 day plan at the reduced rate, I messaged her to see what she thought of it and she said she would put a plan together for me and email it to me tomorrow, at no charge (she's a PT). I would have never asked her to do that as I know she's really busy with her paying clients, so I really must spend some time finding her a nice thank you gift to send, especially considering how generous she was to us at christmas too!

We got a dunelm voucher from her which we used to purchase some new pillows for our bed which we have talked about getting for a while, they also had 30% off so were £17, meaning we had enough left on the voucher for OH to get a lint roller that he wanted!

We were also gifted a voucher for the view from the Shard followed by a 3 course meal from OH's parents, as we will be going to London in August for my hospital appointment, we will book the meal in for the day before. Just need to arrange a cheap hotel, but there is no such thing as cheap in London!

OH also bought me tickets for a show for my birthday, I've been saying for a while that I would like to see it, that is in May so we will also need to book a hotel in Birmingham for that, I have been looking and the travelodge is only £53, we wont get the 30% off deal that they're doing at the moment as the date is after the 12th April cut off.

Ah well, I'll book both hotels through TCB to get as much out of it as I can.

Off to bed now as I'm back to work tomorrow, OH is currently out in the city centre for the work night out, I've been very anxious about it and my stomach has been in knots for a couple of days, especially as he is staying overnight in a hotel that he's booked. I mentioned to him earlier how I was feeling and he said 'I'm only in the city with the work people, its fine'. I also spent the afternoon with my mums friend who we have reconnected with recently, we sorted through all of her paperwork as she wanted me to help her with her PPI claims seeing as OH has put in successful claims, it was a lovely afternoon, we had a cup of tea and a catch up and she also put my mind at ease that OH will be fine and certainly wont be sharing his hotel room (one of my worries, which is very silly!) I've then spent the evening with the candles lit, made a nice dinner, prepped lunch for work tomorrow and catching up with friends online. I've had a much needed chilled night, its been lovely. Off to bed now as I want to get up at a decent time even though I haven't got to be at work until 10.

After work we'll be going to my mums as she is cooking some nibbles and has bought a cake for my sisters birthday tomorrow. I dropped her gifts off just before christmas, she has a bag chock full of presents but I only spent just shy of £11! She didnt believe me.

Anyway, off to bed now, hope I can sleep and don't spend all night tossing and turning!
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! I haven't posted in so long!

I've been carrying on with surveys but not as much as I was doing before, still cashed out £15 on qmee and another £2.50 from opinion outpost, total is over £65 now! Not bad for a few hours a week. I'm so so tempted to add the £15 qmee money to my usual bank account instead of the christmas savings as I need a bus ticket etc and don't have much left in my account after paying for mums birthday present and grandmas birthday present.

I have also had my birthday and received gift vouchers, event tickets and books, as well as a slow cooker from my mum and dad.

The gift vouchers I am saving to use for holiday clothes, apart from the clarks one which I really need to use for some new boots.

Mum bought me some bras in the tesco sale but they didnt fit so shes taken them back and said she'd just give me the money as it was part of my birthday present, so thats £14 and then my dad owes me £12 for mums birthday present that I ordered.

I could really do with this back ASAP as I can use it for my bus ticket and spends for the rest of the month instead of using my bank account, so I should get this from them when I pop over in the week.

We are off to London next weekend for a meeting (accommodation and food paid for by the charity, just need to make sure we have enough petrol in the car and pay for parking) then there are no other plans until payday.

We did a huge foodshop online to stock up until the end of the month so should only need fresh stuff between now and pay day (salad/milk etc).

My gym membership is still valid until April and they've put zumba back onto the timetable so I've booked on for Monday and have the diet plan from my SIL which I'm using. My colleague has made us both 'heart charts' to track our weightloss, its just a grid of hearts that we can colour in each time we lose a pound, mine has got 30 on which is my target, 2lb per week until the holiday, but in reality if I lose 14 - 21lb I'll be happy.

Went to a spa with my sister on my birthday, it cost £57 for the BOTH of us to have 4 hours in the spa and two treatments. It was a really lovely day, well worth the money.

Next couple of weeks are going to be tight money wise, but I should get a quarterly bonus in January, not sure there'll be a monthly one as I dont think we made any of the December targets, but we'll see.

We have a LOT of events/plans booked in over the next 7 months or so which is exciting, and the majority is mostly paid for apart from we need to book two hotel rooms. We got a voucher to use in London for visiting the shard and having a meal so we'll book that to coincide with my next London hospital appointment in London so we'll need to pay a hotel for that, but we would have had to pay that anyway as the appointment is quite early.

Will try and post back here more often to keep on track with the savings, my DMP is plodding along and I don't feel I need to keep my eye on that anymore, its just the general month to month budgeting and money management that I'll be tracking.

Off to catch up on some more diaries then do some batch cooking for work meals this week, then I plan to run a bath and get an early night with my book.

My plan for 2018 is as follows:

* Use up ALL of the toiletries/bath products that we got for Christmas/birthday and lying round the house before we purchase any. We have SO many random toiletries, I usually end up gifting them on (oops) but decided to actually make use of them all this year before buying any more at all (I did this one year and didnt end up buying anything (except shampoo/toothpaste) until July!)

* Do not buy any candles! Use what I have (I love candles but keep most of them as 'display' candles then buy other cheaper ones to burn. crazy!)

* Read more books but do not buy any until I've read all of the ones I have in the book cabinet.

* Spend less time on my phone

* Do not book any more events/shows/trips unless its a gift for someone else.

* Carry on with surveys as often as possible and add all proceeds to christmas savings
  • AleMrsT
    edited 31 January 2018 at 12:40PM
    Options
    I am SO pleased that its pay day!! And my day off too!

We did an online shopping order on Sunday night as we realised the money doesnt get taken until the delivery has been made, so the shopping delivery has arrived this morning, £126.15 spent :eek:

We had an £11 off voucher which we used, and it was so expensive as we had nearly ran out of toiletries, so we spent £35.18 on loo roll, washing powder, fabric softner, toiletries and cleaning stuff, as well as £4 on my razor.

At least we're all stocked up now and I've written out a meal plan for the rest of this week. Putting it all away, I don't think we have enough meat for the month but we have plenty of cupboard stock so shouldn't have to do another shop apart from milk etc for a good two weeks or so.

We finally got bonus payments this month, £198 for the quarterly bonus and £6 for the monthly bonus :rotfl:

I have paid £800 to the bills account, put £25 aside for my DD on 27th and put £60 aside to pay for the hotel on Saturday as we're off to charity event.

I have also replaced the christmas savings from the survey money that I had to use last month, and have rounded my account down to add £2.94 to the emergency fund.

I've reinstated my quidco account too, and have decided to also track extra funds from both topcashback and quidco, so I've added the topcashback earnings to my running total of survey income, and am nearly at £100 since October!! I'm so pleased. I have £27.50 in the christmas savings so only a little bit short of £1 per day.

Going to keep this up, but we have a few expenses coming up, and the weekend before last we had to use the CC whilst we were in London as although the accommodation was paid, we didnt think about car parking or tube ticket costs, and we had one less meal provided so we had to pay for two meals instead of one.

In all we put around £140 on the credit card, (we managed to street park for free in the end, but needed to fill the car up with fuel)

OH has paid that back to the card this morning, plus an extra £60, on top of the usual £140 per month payment.

I have said we'll sit down later and look at the balances and see what we can do.

We really need to get this CC down, I'm reluctant for him to take another 0% CC as he isnt great at managing them, hence why this one is back up to the credit limit!

We're just going to have to hammer it with as many payments as we can, but I am so tight on money each month because of how much our monthly bills are, we're stuck in a bit of a rut. Our rent has also increased by £10 per month again this year, we are happy with this as our rent is still a lot cheaper than it should be.

I have to pay £20 for my dads birthday on Sunday, then next week I have two hospital appointments, a concert and a charity event!

Exciting (and spendy!) week next week.

Monday - hopsital 12noon
    Tuesday - off work, seeing LADY GAGA!! Hotel all paid for, have cafe rouge vouchers to use for a meal, should only need to pay for a drink each at the restaurant, plus a drink each at the venue, and fill the car up.
    Thursday, back at work, 9am hopsital appointment!
    Saturday - off to the charity event. Event ticket is paid for, just need to pay £60 on the day for hotel and OH will need to pay for a meal as mine is all included in the ticket cost.

Monday 13th - £10 deposit due for a place at the 2019 event.

We have a couple of hotel rooms to book for bits and bobs later on it the year, I have priced it up this morning and its £188 for all of them, (Birmingham x 1 night - May, Sleaford x 2 night - June, London Central x 1 night, August), OH has a 5% off voucher code and I can get 10% cashback through TCB so we will book that in March probably.

Have so much going on this year, its all exciting stuff and apart from the 3 hotel stays its all paid for.

I still have vouchers that I haven't spent that I had for my birthday, I'm saving these to use for holiday clothes for Italy in May.

Off to catch up on diaries, do a small bit of ironing then get ready to head to the train station as I have decided to have a wander round the city centre this afternoon, supposed to be meeting up with one of the ladies from the event at the weekend, but the train ticket is booked now so I may go even if she isnt able to meet, otherwise its £6 wasted, I won't spend any money whilst there as I'll eat before I set off and OH will pick me up when he finishes work.

In other news, I'm still sticking to my weight loss plan, I have lost 3lb so far, which I am pleased with as its 1lb per week. If i continue that I will have lost a stone by the time I go on holiday. Now we've been food shopping I can be more strict with it so hoping for at least a 2lb loss this week, although I do have the charity meal on Saturday!
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Sunday update. I have rounded down my account and have added £1.10 to the emergency fund, which now stands at £4.04 :beer: Its a start! I've also moved more money across to the savings account I labelled 'planned spends'. I started doing this in December when I needed to keep money aside for my pension DD on 27th, and I find it useful. I now have £111 in there as follows:
    £25 DD
    £60 hotel
    £16 bus ticket
    £10 deposit for next years event

I will transfer the money across to my main account as and when I need it.

I still have £85 left in my normal bank account, but don't have any other planned spends so this should last the rest of the month.

Rest of my update will be on quoted post below
    AleMrsT wrote: »

Exciting (and spendy!) week next week.

Monday - hopsital 12noon
    Tuesday - off work, seeing LADY GAGA!! Hotel all paid for, have cafe rouge vouchers to use for a meal, should only need to pay for a drink each at the restaurant, plus a drink each at the venue, and fill the car up. - This event is now CANCELLED :(:(:( I was so looking forward to it, it was postponed from the original date in October but we found out yesterday that she has cancelled the rest of the tour. We've decided not to go to Manchester at all, as it will cost us more in fuel and entertainment than we lose out on the hotel booking (£35). We will get a full refund on the tickets, which will be paid straight off the credit card (£235!!) :eek: I'm going to go in to work on Tuesday and see if I can have Friday as annual leave instead, which means I can spend the day prepping for the charity event at the weekend
    Thursday, back at work, 9am hopsital appointment!

Saturday - off to the charity event. Event ticket is paid for, just need to pay £60 on the day for hotel and OH will need to pay for a meal as mine is all included in the ticket cost. - OH has now decided to join in with the activities, so he will need to pay £31 on the day then pay for a curry in the evening. He realised he would be very bored say in the hotel room, ad would probably have spent the same amount of money at the bar or on room service. I'm happy he's joining in!

I still have vouchers that I haven't spent that I had for my birthday, I'm saving these to use for holiday clothes for Italy in May.

Off to catch up on diaries, do a small bit of ironing then get ready to head to the train station as I have decided to have a wander round the city centre this afternoon, supposed to be meeting up with one of the ladies from the event at the weekend, but the train ticket is booked now so I may go even if she isnt able to meet, otherwise its £6 wasted, I won't spend any money whilst there as I'll eat before I set off and OH will pick me up when he finishes work.
    I took the vouchers with me on Wednesday in the end and spent them (oops!) However, the whole day cost me £15.80, but I bought a dress for the charity event, which cost me £10 in cash (£20 in the sale and I had a L2S voucher, it was from Debenhams and should have been £75! I am very pleased with the purchase, its probably one of the best fitting dressiest dresses I've ever bought.

I also used my new look voucher to buy false nails and eyelashes, a clutch bag and a top (I was planning to wear the top for the concert, but will wear it another time). I had a £25 voucher and think I have around £4 still on the voucher. I also went to next and spent some of that voucher, I really wanted a nice red shiny lipstick, so I bought one from there, and a nude matt lipstick as well as a nice gold nail varnish in case I don't get on with the false nails! Its not often I treat myself to make up so it felt very luxurious, and I still have a few pounds left on that voucher too.

I decided to use them on Wednesday as I realised I could get all of my holiday stuff from primark, and the vouchers for next and new look wouldn't stretch very far for holiday things. I don't feel i've wasted them which is good.

The other £5.80 was spent on a really lovely cappuccino and cake.
    I really enjoyed going shopping alone, I shall definitely head into the city again on my day off, I had a lovely day and it didn't break the bank

Today OH is on a late shift, his last day before a week off, so I'm going to get the ironing done (didnt have chance on Wednesday) then have a bath and get ready for work tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • AleMrsT
    Options
    Oh, there are also a few things that I want to get done around the house in February, particularly decluttering and sorting

- Declutter and sort wardrobe/drawers. Anything I didn't wear in 2017 should be sold or sent to charity. Put everything away properly so that its easier to find things!

- Declutter and clean all of the kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer. Write an inventory of what we have and plan lists accordingly. Order shelves by use by date.

- Find a cheap storage box/make up case and have a good sort out of make up and toiletries. Throw out stuff that is old and donate/sell stuff I won't use, clean all make up brushes.

- Sort through books, games, DVD's and blu rays. Sell/trade in anything we no longer use.

Hopefully the house will be more organised once that is all done, and it should keep me busy for February! Hoping to do one task per week, starting with the wardrobe which I will start today when I have done all of the ironing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure