PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying New Build House - Management Company Worries

Options
So we have just sold our house, exchange and completed after 16 months of hell. We thought it was easy going from then onwards. We had found our dream home on a new estate in a nice area. We viewed the house and reserved it, we were told there was a maintenance fee of £144 a year to maintain the park and green areas. This seemed like a fair price.

Cut to two days ago.

We finally get the legal documents from our solisitor and it has the coventant in regards to the maintannce company. The company is MeadFleet Ltd.

We read the whole legal document and upon reading it were were shocked that by aggreing the maintance covenentant they can:

1. up the price as much as they like as we cant contest it
2. they can flat out not do the work and we cant do anything about it
3. Charge for additonal services and we cant do anything about it
4. Cant take legal action or they will put their legal costs on us
5. Cant change the maintnace company if the whole community decides their service is not to standard

We feel like we have been lied to. At no time did they say we enter a contract with the company in order to buy the house, they just said it was a yearly fee, nothing about us having no rights at all in regards to this.

So far we havent signed anything but if we pull out we will lose a lot of money.

Upon reading all the low reviews online and nurmours stories I've found online MeadFleet are a shocking company and this kind of thing is happening with every new build development that has spaces that havent been adopted by the council.

That is also a slap in the face as it feels like its another council tax.

Are we over reacting or is it wise to stay away from signing into this. We just fear the prices will double once the development has completed and then they say oh yeah our estimates are way off please pay us double and then keep upping it every year just as they seem to do with every other development. It seems like a scamand basically racketeering.

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is rapidly becoming standard for new-build freehold houses - and it has the potential to be a problem in the future.

The government has introduced limits on how much leasehold service charges can rise by. But freehold service charges aren't protected.

Standard now is for the builder to set up a separate Ltd company - the management company. The builder owns this company while the site is developed. Once finished, the management company is sold off - often to a pension or insurance company, who buy them up because they generate predictable, long-term income.

I know one local developer in this area who does it differently - their management companies are handed over to the residents when the site is finished - so all the residents own a share in it and appoint a group to manage it. The benefit is that price increases are more likely to be reasonable. The downside is you're reliant on a few residents stepping up to get involved.

As I said, this is pretty much normal on new-build houses now, so if you want a new-build you have to accept it. But be aware there have been stories of service charges doubling in the second year, so budget for future increases.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RichardCUK wrote: »
    Are we over reacting
    You are if your alternative options are other newbuild properties, or even just relatively modern properties, as this sort of set-up is pretty much the norm.

Yes, in theory they could charge you a billionty pounds for doing nothing, but in practice I expect you'll just have the mild grumble about the principle of being billed for overpriced grass cutting rather than anything causing you genuine hardship.
  • RichardCUK
    Options
    Yeah so far from the looks of it the development started in 2017 and so far the charges havent gone up. My guess is because the development is still on going.

They have on last phase which shouyld last a year or two. By the end there will bw 200 which is the number they always said there would be.

My guess is the management company will hike the price once the developer has completed and packed up?

If we knew that the prices were just related the RPI then thhat would be OK but it can literally be anything.

I read somewhere that the governement was planning to have some statutory rights in place for freeholds by next year but I dont know if there is any truth to this.

We will have to ask out developer if the maintenance is being handed over the resdients or is soley being kept with MeadFleet.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You knew there was a maintenance charge when you reserved the property so I am not quite sure why you have now decided that it is such a bad thing. It certainly isn't uncommon on new build estates and estates dating from the last ten years or more.

£144 per year is £12 per month. If this gradually increased to £20 per month or even £25 per month would it really be such a big deal?

We have been lucky and bought on an estate with no service charges. The local authority took responsibility for the green spaces and they do an excellent job of keeping them looking well kept.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Until there is proper legal protection for new home buyers who feel they have no option to sign up to charges I wouldn't go near the standard contract document.

I would request a specific document, negotiated between me as buyer and the developer. If they refused a variation to standard I'd be suspicious and walk.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personaly I would never sign up to an agreement like this.

But that pretty much means not buying a new build on a new estate.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RichardCUK wrote: »
    We will have to ask out developer if the maintenance is being handed over the resdients or is soley being kept with MeadFleet.

But you can't rely on their answer - so if they say "yes, we plan to hand it over", and then they don't, there'd be nothing you can do.

Unless... they agree to say "yes" and have it included in your purchase contract. (Which is probably unlikely.)
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Personaly I would never sign up to an agreement like this.

But that pretty much means not buying a new build on a new estate.

Not all there are estates with no management charges.
  • rachel230
    Options
    New Build Estates come with unregulated and uncapped ever rising service charge fees which in some cases end up higher than your actual mortgage!
    Have a look at the Meadfleet Property Management Company issues Facebook group and also join the National Leasehold Campaign Facebook group for good advice. People, who pull out when the true facts come out, are now claiming back (successfully!) their full deposit, solicitor fees etc because the full facts were concealed until the eleventh hour and had the true facts been known earlier they would not have proceeded with buying the property.
    https://nationalleaseholdcampaign.org
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Yes I walked away from purchasing a new build due to exactly this reason (Google "Fleecehold").

Rather not had the headache and worry about what the Service Charge bill is going to be every year.

Also take into account if/when selling in the future which could put future buyers off as the service charge will most likely be higher than it is now and you will probably have to purchase a "Management Pack" as part of the conveyancing which can cost a few hundred quid.

Best of luck OP, let us know how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure