Dell laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi but tablet does??

Options
We have a del laptop. Recently we have had some problems connecting to wifi. The tablet connects without a problem, but we get an error message, not connected on the laptop. When I turn the router off, then on again. Then go through the re-establish connection, it seems to work. I am very confused, any ideas? Running Windows 10, laptop a dell latitude inspiron, about 5 years old with 4th ram. Any advice, gratefully received.
Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be a million things, do you have the same issues with the same laptop elsewhere? Like public hotspot or friend's house?

How much stuff you have connected to the WiFi? "Smart" home stuff? A lot of cheap routers can't handle more than 5-10 devices connected, which could explain why after a reboot your laptop can connect.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    Since it only happens to your laptop while other items still work, suggests it is a laptop issue. :)

how often does it happen? Does it happen after a certain time> Does it happen with greater frequency after the first time for that working period?

So is most likely either wifi card or drivers.

Me, I would get out my live Mint Linux, not install linux, but use it for a while. If the linux connection is reliable, then that suggests the drivers are an issue.

If on linux it is unreliably, I would blame the hardware and unplug the wifi card an give the contacts a clean before buying one of the same type (google 'White listing') from ebay again. no it does not have to be the card, but can be tho motherboard too.

Alternate choice, fiddle with nothing, disable the card in the bios and then get a usb wifi one
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    You could use cmd (from an administrator command prompt)
    netsh wlan show wlanreport
    And open the relevant file in your browser,it may help
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    2 things to try.

First, on the list of available networks, RIGHT click on your wifi name, choose "forget network", wait a sec and then try to connect again.

Next, as bizarre as it may seem, changing the name (ssid) of your wifi will often fix the issue of "cannot connect to network" on a Dell device running W10

note : you can always change it back again after you have connected successfully

If this doesn't get it let us know as there are a whole raft of other things to try, but these 2 are the usual culprits
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got the same problem,its a windows 10 thing.

Update your wifi drivers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport