Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,689Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
Page 142
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 20th Jun 19, 2:30 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    The local hospice £1 shop came up good for a new light coat for DD and next winter's thick preschool coat for DS, £1 each for then and they're both from Next originally so easily £15-21 brand new.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 20th Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 61,860 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Am being 'haunted' by a dress I saw on Tuesday in Otley* Twas an L K Bennett dress in a dull cerise colour with a complicated drapey foldy thing going on at the front. Tried it on and it fitted nicely but was put off by a rather low neckline and lack of sleeves. In lovely condition and it was originally retailing at £195. Chazza price £8.45. Sometimes I really wish I could be bovvered EBaying!!

https://poshmark.com/listing/L-K-Bennett-Davina-Dress-58ed5e6b9c6fcfb23b07fd25

*Must not go back as it will have long gone and I do not need it!!!!
    Originally posted by Mir!
    Fits my (rough) criteria of 10% of original price.
    And sooooo elegant.
    And a fab colour...
    I'd go back with my fingers and toes crossed.
    Wear it a couple of times then eBay it.
    Polly's view of the world.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 20th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    Fits my (rough) criteria of 10% of original price.
    And sooooo elegant.
    And a fab colour...
    I'd go back with my fingers and toes crossed.
    Wear it a couple of times then eBay it.
    Polly's view of the world.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

*Sticks fingers in ears* lalalalalalalalala

Don't encourage me!!!!!!!
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 20th Jun 19, 7:32 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,858 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    Miro if you have the figure to carry that dress off, it would be wicked not to get it! Do you have the sort of occasions where you would wear it though?
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Miró
    • By Miró 20th Jun 19, 8:10 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    Miro if you have the figure to carry that dress off, it would be wicked not to get it! Do you have the sort of occasions where you would wear it though?
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    Oh blooming' 'eck I'm gonna have to try ringing the shop first thing in the morning now to see if they still have it!!!! I do have chances to wear such a garment as I have a friend who does restaurant reviews for the local paper, (sometimes dead pawsh places), and I get invited along.... Why did I dither? I dunno!!
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 20th Jun 19, 8:15 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    BNWT black M&S shorts (just below knee length) £3. BNWT H&M cream cardigan flecked with black £3.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th Jun 19, 8:16 PM
    • 9,644 Posts
    • 32,507 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Miro, you have our collective encouragement to hunt that frock, wear it stunningly & then rehome it as you see fit!
    These garments find you for a reason - indulge them, show ‘em a good time & turn them loose on an unsuspecting universe!
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 20th Jun 19, 8:17 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 3,549 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Oh and I nearly forgot. Susie Smith Cross body bag in taupe BNNT £2.50.
    61/66 clothing coupons
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th Jun 19, 8:28 PM
    • 9,644 Posts
    • 32,507 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    A Spode blue & white mug (which I will hide at the office) for 50 pence and a book on steiff animals for 33 pence. Himself found a wooden box, which may hold a single pressure lantern but was clearly the packaging for something else years ago, for a pound plus other books for 67 pence & a truly horrific 3D lensatic photo of two owls which he has rigged the son-on-pub-crawl’s room with... 50 pence of mischief which I don't know how you recycle as there’s a lot of plastic on paper. “Burn it” & “holy fire” suggested by menfolk....
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 21st Jun 19, 6:28 AM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 42,562 Thanks
    dolly84
    miro - I do this all the time and then can't stop thinking about the item, I do it because I know I don't need it. Sometimes it helps to ask 'would I buy this at full price' then you know if you really love something.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 61,860 Thanks
    Pollycat
    miro - I do this all the time and then can't stop thinking about the item, I do it because I know I don't need it. Sometimes it helps to ask 'would I buy this at full price' then you know if you really love something.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I'd never pay £195 for a dress so this reasoning wouldn't work for me.
    But I would be seduced by a dress for £8.95 that had originally been £195 - if I liked the colour, it fitted me, I liked the style and would wear it.
    I think all the above apply to Miro and the dress under discussion.
    So - is it still there?
    • Miró
    • By Miró 21st Jun 19, 10:33 AM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    I'd never pay £195 for a dress so this reasoning wouldn't work for me.
    But I would be seduced by a dress for £8.95 that had originally been £195 - if I liked the colour, it fitted me, I liked the style and would wear it.
    I think all the above apply to Miro and the dress under discussion.
    So - is it still there?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Rang the shop as soon as it opened at 1 minute past 10am
    The dress was bought later in the afternoon on the day that I saw it

It was bought by a woman for her daughter and she asked if she could have a refund if said daughter did not like it or it did not fit soooooo ...... there is a chance that the dress may reappear in the shop! Aaaarrgghh!! I would rather have been told it was bought by someone that had tried it on, loved it and left the shop shouting 'Mine...all mine!' Anyhoo, I left my contact details with the manager and they promised to contact me if they get the dress back.

Orft to North Yorks for a long week-end so will be plundering the chazza's and car booties of Thirsk and Ripon
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 21st Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 11,702 Posts
    • 80,755 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Ah Miro. Sorry to hear about Dressgate. It just goes to show you have to snaffle these things up when you see them. I've done the exactly the same myself in the past, then regretted it.

Once I was walking round a chazza, picked something up thinking I'll get that, put it back, continued browsing and then saw someone else grab it

Never again...... now I hang on to things.

Fingers crossed said daughter doesn't like it and it comes back to you
    • Miró
    • By Miró 21st Jun 19, 3:29 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    .......... & a truly horrific 3D lensatic photo of two owls which he has rigged the son-on-pub-crawl’s room with... 50 pence of mischief which I don't know how you recycle as there’s a lot of plastic on paper. “Burn it” & “holy fire” suggested by menfolk....
    Originally posted by DigForVictory

DFV, has the 'son-on-pub-crawl' been confronted by said owls yet? Owls can be creepy enough at the best of times but in 3D and after a few snifters....well!!!! Is there likely to be revenge/retribution inflicted?
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 21st Jun 19, 4:49 PM
    • 9,644 Posts
    • 32,507 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    On realising there were owls, he complained we were unkind.
    We laughed.
    He dumped the stiff photo out in the hall. We retrieved it & as he communed with some benevolent listening deity, OH snuck in and tucked in back into place.
    Lad stumbled back, snoozed & complained of owls Again... Then staggered off & was properly unwell as he didn't want to reveal weakness whilst I was in the house. (Yet I had lucozade on standby for him. Am a loving parent really, just hide it sometimes.)

Currently hidden somewhere in his room to prevent us going for a third try, but he's away in Cornwall for a week.

The owls May appear in little brother's room, but I would imagine the proposed Holy Fire would break out in short order. There are fireplaces & exam revision incinerator tubs etc handy, after all.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Jun 19, 4:56 PM
    • 9,644 Posts
    • 32,507 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We went to Colne again. That whisper teapot has *definitely* gone, Miro - I asked. There was a Lovatts ink bottle that lured me & a Denby Imperial Blue jug (guess at 1&a half pints) that we might actually use, Imp Blue being the daily go-to Denby.

Then there was a box, all new & sealed, with Chinese writing on, & what look like two horn combs & an ear wax scraper inside. Yeay google translate for assuring me these were beauty items, natural & exquisite craftsmanship, plus by application to points of my head could cure blood pressure & insomnia. (Some days google translate is a little too clever for a phone). Anyway, they help me step away from plastic, have strongly positive associations with the longhair community & are beautifully made & finished so will go into use, with a grin as £3 is pennies for horn products. Then I can use the box for a Christmas present to a Chinese speaking relative....

We got a wad of bubblewrap envelopes and a new lock & lock cereal box (which I promptly used to transport a box of brass screws & a pair of ex military wire cutters - a useful box is exactly that! Plus a barely used candle making set to extend our range of candle moulds (£2 for buy it new £25 set!)

Does anyone else find the first brew back after the hunt tastes extra refreshing? Says she near boneless after a much needed cup of tea.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 22-06-2019 at 4:59 PM.
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 22nd Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    Really pleased today.

I need some new Converse shoes as my old ones are very tatty. I am a ladies shoe size 9 (which is a men's shoe size 8).

Went for something to eat in the local city and nipped into a charity shop. Brand new, unworn pair of men's Converse size 8 fitted me perfectly. In a really nice burgundy colour with white stitching.

Cost new approx. £60.00 - £65.00. Costs to me £10.00
    • Miró
    • By Miró 22nd Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    We went to Colne again. That whisper teapot has *definitely* gone, Miro - I asked.

Does anyone else find the first brew back after the hunt tastes extra refreshing? Says she near boneless after a much needed cup of tea.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Awww thanks for asking about the 'Whisper', being carless I never managed to cadge a lift to them there parts. Can cross that off my 'haunting' list now then

As for the brew of choice.....nowt beats a triple gin waved past a little tonic, with a smidgeon of lime and poured over an iceberg for moi!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 23rd Jun 19, 8:44 AM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 42,562 Thanks
    dolly84
    We have had a couple of good trips and bought the following:

War & Peace £1
    Catch 22 99p
    Anna Karenina (sp?) 50p

BNWT Next blush pink cami/vest top £1.99
    Imp Sport BN Waterproof Winter cycling gloves £2.50

M&S navy blue broderie anglais smock top, long sleeves with cuff, frill coming up the front and going over the shoulder £3.50

New Look Boyfriend Shirt blue and white stripes, looks and feels unworn £4, this was a bit pricey (Mind shop) but I really loved it but I do not need another striped shirt and must remember that.

Seasalt Branches top, long sleeved, dark teal, round neck £3.50

Primark drapey blazer, black with large floral print, oversized and quite long, £4.

The only thing I actually needed was the vest top and the cycling gloves will be very well used.

A couple of weeks ago I got DH a Wrangler shirt for £2, he recently saw a very similar one in a local hospice shop for £17 .
    Last edited by dolly84; 23-06-2019 at 8:48 AM.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 27th Jun 19, 10:50 AM
    • 5,990 Posts
    • 26,074 Thanks
    Miró
    Ooooh...thread gone quiet...is everyone else having difficulty finding those bargains right now too??

Went for a mooch around the local chazza shops yesterday and did pick up a couple of things. A pair of BNWT, M & S silky PJ's in a rather tasteful silver grey and pale lilac random spotty pattern. Bit pricy at £7 but I needed a pair of smart PJ's 'in case of emergency' such as a hospital stay or visit to a pawsh hotel I really am turning into my grandmother as this was so typical of her thinking!!! Also picked up a TU long sleeved navy t-shirt for £1 seemingly unworn and very nice quality.

Found nothing in the chazzas/car booties over the weekend spent in Bedale but did come home with 20lbs of strawberries from friend's garden. Have given loads away and jammed some...not being very skilled in the domestics dept the consistency is not quite right but the taste is delish . Been warned that another delivery of strawbs will be imminent after the coming heatwave and a mammoth crop of rasps is likely this year
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter