Tax relief for travel expenses?

Options
Dear members!

I filled in a P87 for tax relief for employees and got a letter back from HMRC that left me confused.
I phoned HMRC twice for clarification but all I'm getting is the helpdesk person going "Eeeeuuuhhmm, I *think* it means ...".
I also tried an accountant but their fee is about the same as the amount of money I may be able to claim back - and at this stage I'm not even sure any more whether I qualify.
So I was hoping one of you could shed some light on the matter!

I work for a company. They regularly send me on training courses elsewhere. They will pay for the course fee but not for my travel expenses (public transport).

I read the HMRC guidance on tax relief for employees and from it I believed that I could claim tax relief for those travel expenses (incurred as necessary part of the job etc), so I filled in a P87.

I have now received a letter that confuses me. It says HMRC does not accept the claim.
It then goes on to talk about general motoring expenses, that the HMRC mileage allowance covers all motoring expenses and that it is the only deduction I can claim using my own vehicle.
Then in the next paragraph it says that if I don't agree, I can complete a self assessment tax return. They may then consider opening an enquiry to challenge the figures they don't agree with.

So my questions are:

1. Was I wrong in believing that I could claim tax relief for public transport expenses incurred when being sent on a training course by my employer?

2. Why does the letter refer to the mileage allowance and motoring expenses? I did not claim mileage allowance - I don't even have a car. I only claimed public transport costs. Am I missing something?

3. The reference to self-assessment and them challenging the figures they don't agree with - is that saying "Some of the expenses may be eligible so please provide us with more detail in a self-assessment so we can unpick which are and which aren't"? Or is it British English for "Eff off or we will send our Inquisition onto you and persecute you until the end of your days".

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    What section of the P87 did you complete?

It is possible to claim tax relief on public transport costs however it will depend on the specifics - https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/travel-and-overnight-expenses

Claims for T&S can be complex so if you complete a self assessment then someone with the appropriate level of training can review your claim.
  • Liesbeth
    Options
    I completed the travel and overnight expenses section. I listed every course and filled in the cost of public transport.
    I left the motoring / mileage section blank. That's why that letter is so confusing - it doesn't say anything about public transport but goes on and on about motoring expenses.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Firstly I wouldn't waste your time phoning about this.

Secondly have you actually paid any tax in the year your are claiming for (2016:17)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure