Cheap Train Fares guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Dwarf
    Dwarf Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, am hoping some of you train whizzes can help. I'd like to go to London for a few days in half term as cheap as poss with my family (2ad, 2ch). Am going round in circles trying to find split tickets! Will be travelling from Barrow in Furness on 31/10 and returning on 4/11. We have a family and friends railcard. Any help would be greatly appreciated x Also any help with tips for getting around in London would be great too!

Thanks in advance
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Trying to buy train tickets from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central. Looked on both Red Spotted Hanky and East Coast. I want a ticket that my son could travel at anytime after 9am. Both sites say you have to travel on the network you purchase the ticket for. I can get a ticket for £7.50 but he can only travel on Cross country trains. I can get a ticket for £12.90 but he can only travel on First Scotrail. The train he will most likely get is a Cross country one but he might just miss it and the next Cross Country would be too late!. Does it REALLY matter. I am sure in the past I have purchased tickets and they have not specified what train you travel on??

Buy the any permitted ticket, slighly more expensive than XC own ticket. Then can travel any train/route. Know from experience SR staff will charge full price, if they see a XC only ticket on a Scotrail train.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • cosmojohnson
    Options
    Dwarf wrote: »
    Hi, am hoping some of you train whizzes can help. I'd like to go to London for a few days in half term as cheap as poss with my family (2ad, 2ch). Am going round in circles trying to find split tickets! Will be travelling from Barrow in Furness on 31/10 and returning on 4/11. We have a family and friends railcard. Any help would be greatly appreciated x Also any help with tips for getting around in London would be great too!

Thanks in advance

A cheap Advance ticket for the 31st will likely be cheaper than faffing around with splits. I can currently see an Advance single leaving at 14:16 for £28.10 for four of you (with the railcard discount).

Coming back on the 4th will be more expensive - it's a Sunday therefore looks like most of the Advance tickets have sold out. You could get an off-peak single for the four of you for £79.10. I can't see any worthwhile splits that wouldn't take all day.

As for getting around London, an Oyster card will probably be the cheapest and most flexible way if you are there for 3/4 days. You can order these in advance or get one at the station (although Tube ticket offices at the major London termini tend to have queues). If your children are under 11 they travel free on tube/buses. If under 16, get them a paper day travelcard for £3.20 each day. Or just walk around London - a lot of places are nearer together than you think!
  • baabaachi
    baabaachi Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2012 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Hi, I have looked on a few train websites and each one is saying 101 pounds

I am taking my son to Lancaster Uni open Day.

I have booked a B and B for the Friday before (the Open Day is on Saturday 22nd)

So travelling Friday 21st September returning Saturday 22nd September

Son has student railcard

If anyone is able to find fare cheaper than 101 pounds for 1 adult and 1 student I would be very grateful.xx
  • cosmojohnson
    Options
    baabaachi wrote: »
    Hi, I have looked on a few train websites and each one is saying 101 pounds

I am taking my son to Lancaster Uni open.

I have booked a B and B for the Friday before

So travelling Friday 21st September returning saturday 22 nod September

Son has student railcard

If anyone is able to find fare cheaper than 101 pounds for 1 adult and 1 student I would be very grateful.xx

It might help if you say where you're travelling from....!
  • baabaachi
    Options
    :rotfl:

Leicester

:embarasse
  • cosmojohnson
    Options
    There looks to be some Advance tickets available for £32.35 each way (so £64.70 in total) checking the times and fares on NRE. Bear in mind these tickets will restrict you to the specific train times booked, so you are paying less for less flexibility than the £101 total fare you found.
  • ethelmary
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm looking to travel from London to Manchester Piccadilly on October 27th (late morning), returning October 28th (again late morning). The cheapest fare I can find for 2 adults is around £101 total. Is anyone able to beat that? I'm not very good at this sort of thing!

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Artaxerxes
    Options
    ethelmary wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to travel from London to Manchester Piccadilly on October 27th (late morning), returning October 28th (again late morning). The cheapest fare I can find for 2 adults is around £101 total. Is anyone able to beat that? I'm not very good at this sort of thing!

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you don't mind a 45m wait at Crewe split your return journey booking Manchester-Crewe and Crewe-London separately. Saves £31 in total.
  • note_2
    note_2 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    hi, i want to go to see a football match at the hawthorns, (same station name) travelling from cardiff, return. 10th november.

one adult, one kid

travelling to arrive before 2pm, then leave after 5.30pm.

best i can find is via trainline which is £22.50 each way (£15 adult £7.50 child).

i was trying to see if i can get it cheaper direct from the train company themselves, how do would i do this?

cheers :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport