Loan Offer - Should I accept it?

Options
I have applied for a loan. The automated credit check was a positive outcome. I was presented an offer on-screen but I have until Tuesday to accept it.

CREDIT AMOUNT: £700

INTEREST RATE: 20% EAR "Goodwill Base Rate" (increase of 10% EAR per default, applied a maximum of once per 3 months.)

LOAN SECURITY: Unsecured Loan

AGREEMENT LENGTH: Until Paid In Full // Interest continues to incur until paid, with a maximum of 24 months. If defaulting, the agreement is reduced to 12 months and fixed re-payments on a chosen date and amount will be demanded.

Does this look like a good value offer? I think the interest rate is much cheaper than a short-term, high-interest equivalent, but I'm wondering what others feel about this.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It looks horrendous.

What do you need the money for?
  • DerekFoster
    Options
    It looks horrendous.

What do you need the money for?

I found your comment quite amusing. Especially when their punch line is "An Offer You Can't Refuse".

The money is for debt consolidation on Capital One. I have terminated my credit agreement with them over the phone by using extreme colorful language. I have no debts elsewhere. I became debt free in 2015 before I used Capital One card for a £700 advance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the rate on your Cap One card?

How much can you pay to it each month?
  • DerekFoster
    Options
    What is the rate on your Cap One card?

How much can you pay to it each month?

29% APR

I cleared the balance in full. CAP1 reversed the payment and claimed security was to blame. They charged me a default sum.

I told them to ***** and ***** and ********* and ******* to which my credit agreement was terminated and demanded payment in full within 30 days

Oh and the best bit; I have to wait 60 days for funds to return to me now. Original payment method was bank transfer. Need the £700 loan until funds are refunded by CAP1.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Waiting for the money to be returned would be your best option by a long chalk!
    Assuming the swearing is the only reason your card was closed down then even with default charges (pay minimum to avoid) you will be quids in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What loan company offers loans at 20% AER?
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If this is only a temporary situation, surely an overdraft from your bank is a cheaper and better solution?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    29% APR

I cleared the balance in full. CAP1 reversed the payment and claimed security was to blame. They charged me a default sum.

I told them to ***** and ***** and ********* and ******* to which my credit agreement was terminated and demanded payment in full within 30 days

Oh and the best bit; I have to wait 60 days for funds to return to me now. Original payment method was bank transfer. Need the £700 loan until funds are refunded by CAP1.

Wait until the refund is processed, then pay off the card balance.

You may incur a £15 late payment change, and a small amount of interest, but that is the cheapest, most sensible way to deal with the matter.

You do not have to adhere to their timescales, taking out high interest borrowing, is a knee jerk reaction, that you should avoid.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No it is not a good rate and I would not go for it. If you default the rates are much higher than 20%.

For future reference doing cash advances on credit cards is not a good way to go.

How come if you borrowed the money in 2015 then it is not repaid yet? Capital one is expensive so have you just been covering interest and charges since then?

I would wait for the refund then pay off the card. 60 days for a refunded payment is not acceptable and I am dumbfounded as to why when you transferred the money by bank transfer it is not showing as a payment on your account. You need proper answers from Capital one. Don't swear at them, it does the very opposite of what you want. You need their help to sort it out so just bite your tongue and if you think their dealing of the matter is unacceptable then contact the ombardsman or make an official complaint.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    29% APR

Lovely. I'm not surprised your account was terminated. How would you like it if someone spoke to you like that whilst you were just trying to do your job?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure