What are the cheapest new cars?

My old banger gave up today and I'm seriously considering a new car on finance to replace it.

I'm thinking that a new car will probably be 0 road tax (as opposed to £20 a month for my ancient KA) no MOT for a while and hopefully 100% reliable. I have worked out that my £600 banger that lasted me for 2 years cost me a lot in tax and repairs and stress.

What are the cheapest new cars out there? I know the Dacia is the very cheapest, but are there other models not much more than the 5 grand? Am I going to be better getting a car a year or two old?

All I want is a basic run around for 2 adults that is cheap and safe. Mostly town and country road driving.

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's nothing wrong with a new Dacia, and the only negatives will be from badge snobs.
    The man without a signature.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Where's 5k from, looks like £7.5k as a minimum.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Consider a 2nd hand car that has a longer than standard 3 yr warranty - like Kia - they have a seven year warranty, so even buying a 3 yr old car will get a 4 yr warranty (assuming that mileage limits are met and you keep it serviced to manufacturers standard)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been in a few Dacia taxis in Turkey and all were fine. But you can pick them up second hand for peanuts so maybe get one a year or two old and save even more money.

This is £5k and looks smart- http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706306922365?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=bn424sn&make=DACIA&radius=40&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    vikingaero wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a new Dacia, and the only negatives will be from badge snobs.

I agree - nothing wrong with Dacia -they have been part of Renault for several years now.

As for £0 tax - that only applies to purely electric 0% emissions cars.

You can check all car tax rates here:

http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/make-model/dacia/sandero/
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Agree with what's already been said.

Purchase price is only one of the costs involved, a 2 or 3 year old car that has had a chunk of depreciation knocked off could be your best bet. I wouldn't worry too much about a warranty, with the money saved you can stick it away in a savings account and use it for any repairs. I would suggest that a cheaper more basic car also has less to go wrong and will be cheaper to fix.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your current tax is only £20 then your KA cannot be that old. New shape from 2009 so 8 years old max?

Why is it dead?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 11:05AM
    aye_right wrote: »
    My old banger gave up today and I'm seriously considering a new car on finance to replace it.
    Then you're an idiot if you do. Don't buy a car on finance. Don't buy a new car unless you like setting fire to money
    I'm thinking that a new car will probably be 0 road tax (as opposed to £20 a month for my ancient KA) no MOT for a while and hopefully 100% reliable. I have worked out that my £600 banger that lasted me for 2 years cost me a lot in tax and repairs and stress.
    I can guarantee that the 2 years of repairs and tax are a damned sight less than the depreciation hit you'll take in the first year with a new car and the stress of knowing you have to meet a 3-5 year finance deal when you have a drop in income will be higher than the inconvenience of having to fix your banger. Yeah you're correct you won't have a MOT but you will have higher servicing costs which will far exceed the £30-£55 cost of a MOT as it will have to be serviced to the manufacturers specification using genuine parts in order to maintain the warranty.
    Am I going to be better getting a car a year or two old?

What do you think?
    car-depreciation-ownership-graph-uk.jpg
    All I want is a basic run around for 2 adults that is cheap and safe. Mostly town and country road driving.
    4/5 year old Ford Focus.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    If your current tax is only £20 then your KA cannot be that old. New shape from 2009 so 8 years old max?

Why is it dead?

£20 a month. ;)
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    What do you think?
    car-depreciation-ownership-graph-uk.jpg

Be interesting to see a similar graph for a car costing £6,000 new, although I agree I would be looking at a 2-3 year old car with that budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure