Relative found deceased by repossessors

Options

Comments

• Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTEYes Margot123 I see what you mean, but if they hadnt died they would have been allowed to retrieve their belongings and surely any paperwork of anything else wouldnt have had to be disclosed?[/QUOTE]

It is the fact that the bailiffs have taken possession of all the deceased's property that is the point here.
    You could appeal to their kinder nature but will most probably met with a standard response. It is sometimes better if you can be there at the same time as the individual bailiffs (if you know when thy will be there), as they are usually more amenable in these circumstances.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, just my tuppence worth, perhaps the parent (the one paying for the funeral) could contact the baliffs/landlord, and ask for a supervised visit to attempt to find the will, a line could obviously be spun saying along the lines that we are trying to help sort the finances so that the debt gets paid back quicker.
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    helpkitty wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

The parent is planning on arranging the funeral (and paying for it)

Tell them not to do this if there's no money in the estate
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    Hi, just my tuppence worth, perhaps the parent (the one paying for the funeral) could contact the baliffs/landlord, and ask for a supervised visit to attempt to find the will, a line could obviously be spun saying along the lines that we are trying to help sort the finances so that the debt gets paid back quicker.

Plus they may already have a pre paid funeral plan set up
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • dresdendave
    Options
    helpkitty wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

There is a 10 year old child so too young to be the next of kin.

as far as we know its the two week notice in the window stage

The parent is planning on arranging the funeral (and paying for it)

As you describe the deceased as a relative presumably the child is also your relation. What is happening to the child? They have just lost a parent and their home. Their welfare would be my main concern rather than worrying about paperwork.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    As you describe the deceased as a relative presumably the child is also your relation. What is happening to the child? They have just lost a parent and their home. Their welfare would be my main concern rather than worrying about paperwork.

assumptions are best avoided when the details have not been forthcoming.

An equally likely alternative is the child is living with another(parent?) and this was not their home.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Looking at this from the bailiffs angle, why would they allow a third party to have access and rummage through paperwork?

They would be taking a massive risk that evidence of funds would vanish (not saying this would happen in the OP's case).

Better to ask them to let you know if they come across it. They will be looking through everything themselves anyway.

I think the bailiffs may only be acting as bailee. OP hasn't said anything to suggest that they're seizing goods to recover a debt and even if they were, they wouldn't have any claim over paperwork or most personal belongings.

However, as bailee they will have a duty of care not to let just anyone take it (or they would end up liable).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought the bailiffs or whoever instructed them would want the flat cleared asap and would welcome someone going in and clearing up. They certainly ain't gonna leave the house undisturbed for 3 months like Tutankhamun's tomb whilst you apply for probate.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Tell them not to do this if there's no money in the estate

Although they don’t have to do this they may very well want to, so buy all means tell them that they can leave this to the LA to provide a simple funeral but they might be somewhat upset just to be told not to do this.
  • helpkitty
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes the child resides with the remaining parent and this was not their home.

As far as we are aware there has been no order to seize goods, they just happen to be in the property they have secured.

We have requested an accompanied visit but have not had a response yet.

Thanks for everyones replies, most appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure