What are the cheapest new cars?

Options
1235»

Comments

• smokingsxr1000
    Options
    ... currently VW finance are offering 2.9%. I used a car finder website to save more money off the RRP.
    Start January 2017, owing £35,070. Currently £33,900 (3/17).
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    They're dreadful.

Based on what?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Based on what?

Prejudices.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2017 at 2:03PM
    Options
    ... currently VW finance are offering 2.9%. I used a car finder website to save more money off the RRP.

Really? I'm not seeing that on VWs website for new car deals and their used car PCP offering is an eye watering 10.9% APR

Of interest though they are doing significant finance contributions on their new cars - £1,250 on the Golf, and £4,000 on all new Passats.

That means you can buy a brand new Passat for £15,911. I posted this over on HUKD.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/brand-new-vw-passat-1-4-tfsi-s-15-911-5-698-saving-drivethedeal-com-2736356?p=31471152

Drivethedeal and Broadspeed are good places to start for discounts - then ask your local dealer to try to price match.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a new Dacia, and the only negatives will be from badge snobs.

Disagree. Get into a Dacia, and, let's say, a Renault. The Renault will be better equipped, have a better (newer design) engine, and will be more expensive. That's not to say Dacias are bad cars, but the badge is absolutely not the only difference.
    From watching tv it would seem worth trying for a bank loan rather than finance, the rates are far cheaper. Probably be able to haggle down more.

BMW have 1.3% APR on some cars. And of course there are plenty of 0% offers around. I think your advice should be 'shop around' - it's still possible the dealership could be cheap, or wipe your eye!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Based on what?
    Based on the fact sitting in one feels like sitting in a plastic coke bottle. Yes they're cheap, but there's cheap bad (Dacia Sandero) and there's cheap good (Daihatsu Sirion). I remember when Dacia's first came out and there were all sorts of problems with rust etc, on a car made in the 21st century, along with the myriad of other issues that were found with the obsolete 2nd engine that they're fitted with. Dear me. Panels so thin that they could be used as a net curtain.

The only good thing about Dacia's, are that the cheapest model can be used as a blank slate. They don't have a radio, or speakers etc, so you could effectively customise it yourself and cut out the middle-man, but would I want one? When I can just do that anyway, in a better car....

I would much rather take a second hand Yaris, or Sirion, or any number of high quality Japanese cars that. Heck, just pay a bit more and get a Japanese car from new. They're not that much more expensive and you'll get all the lovely benefits of a well-designed engine, a functional interior and all the benefits of the Japanese build quality.

As for those bashing people buying Audi's and BM's etc. So what? Some people want the luxury that those brands bring and I personally have absolutely no problem with that all. I owned an A4 for a while, albeit an old one, and while it wasn't as reliable as I'd hoped, the interior and overall experience of owning it more than made up for it.
    motorguy wrote: »
    Prejudices.
    Hahaha, what a load of !!!!. I don't even own a car currently, and travel to work either on the train or in a rough as old boot 02 reg Punto that is owned by a mate. Prejudices my !!!!.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    settled for a Skoda CitiGo Colour Edition last November and with the 10,000 mole service due this week (£116), a real (dipped) 55mpg what's not to like? I put £150 down and pay £118 a month with £8,050 remaining on a 0% (current 7e

What's not to like? The depreciation you're paying for. I suppose at least you're not paying interest on the depreciation too although I bet they've factored their finance costs in.
  • Money_saving_maniac
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Based on the fact sitting in one feels like sitting in a plastic coke bottle. Yes they're cheap, but there's cheap bad (Dacia Sandero) and there's cheap good (Daihatsu Sirion). I remember when Dacia's first came out and there were all sorts of problems with rust etc, on a car made in the 21st century, along with the myriad of other issues that were found with the obsolete 2nd engine that they're fitted with. Dear me. Panels so thin that they could be used as a net curtain.

The only good thing about Dacia's, are that the cheapest model can be used as a blank slate. They don't have a radio, or speakers etc, so you could effectively customise it yourself and cut out the middle-man, but would I want one? When I can just do that anyway, in a better car....

I would much rather take a second hand Yaris, or Sirion, or any number of high quality Japanese cars that. Heck, just pay a bit more and get a Japanese car from new. They're not that much more expensive and you'll get all the lovely benefits of a well-designed engine, a functional interior and all the benefits of the Japanese build quality.

As for those bashing people buying Audi's and BM's etc. So what? Some people want the luxury that those brands bring and I personally have absolutely no problem with that all. I owned an A4 for a while, albeit an old one, and while it wasn't as reliable as I'd hoped, the interior and overall experience of owning it more than made up for it.

Hahaha, what a load of !!!!. I don't even own a car currently, and travel to work either on the train or in a rough as old boot 02 reg Punto that is owned by a mate. Prejudices my !!!!.

They are not terrible cars, but they are not great cars to drive. I was very tempted by a Duster or Stepway for a while but there are some issues still with parts availability etc I believe. Also the impression I came away with from the test drives was that these were cars that would be 'worn' on the interior quite quickly which as I want to keep a car till it dies of old age preferably, wasn't my cup of tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure