Legal owner of car ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How much is the finance balance Vs the car? I'd be inclined to just sell the car, clear the finance and start again with a clean break.

If the car is more than the balance, you'll get some cash back. If it's less, he's got a few months of payments to continue.

Or transfer everything into his name, park it outside his house and put the keys through the letter box.
  • lilacclaire
    Options
    I'll need to check the paperwork, its in the safe i'll do it later.
    I have many more years of grief I think despite the car, I have the kids he can also use as a tool to get to me. So him taking the car won't stop the grief unfortunately.
    I was really wondering if he is legally able to just take the car away from me, if he does do that then of course I will be cancelling and transferring and it will definitely be his problem. This won't stop any hassle I don't think which is a separate issue.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    How much is the finance balance Vs the car? I'd be inclined to just sell the car, clear the finance and start again with a clean break.

If the car is more than the balance, you'll get some cash back. If it's less, he's got a few months of payments to continue.

Or transfer everything into his name, park it outside his house and put the keys through the letter box.

She cant sell the car. If its on finance it belongs to the finance company. You cant sell a car on finance without the permission of the finance company. They dont even know who this person is. she is just the registered keeper and nothing else.

OP, You are probably getting the idea now that legally you are in a very dodgy position with this car. Its not yours and can be taken off you at any time. You cant break his hold on you while you have the car. Your best bet as others have said is to change the registered keeper to his name (you can do this online) then drop the car off at his place and stop paying him.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, being the registered keeper does not make you the legal owner. Two different things.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Just give him the car. He has more legal right to it than you and it seems like its another piece of hassle you really dont need.

Its technically 'owned' by the finance company. The Ex is who the finance company almost certainly think is the person who has the car. Whether he can actually turn up at the house and take the car isnt really relevant. What he can legally do is either stop paying (screw up his credit rating) and the finance company will then come and take the car, or in a few years time he can VT which would mean the finance company will still come and take the car.

What is 100% clear here is that it isnt your car and the only way you can legally keep the car is if he wants you to keep it. That should answer your question.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its not your car. Stop paying him and go buy one of your own.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Stop paying him, fill out v5 in his name post it off (recorded) and hand him newkeeper slip and keys, let your insurance know your no longer the keeper if you don't want to cancel the policy ask them for 14days leeway while you get a run around
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some very good advice among some stupid advice.

I have been in your situation before, Abet slightly different scenario.

As it's not your car, I strongly suggest giving the car back to him. While he was a bit silly allowing you to be the V5C registered keeper. This doesn't mean you own the car.

So at the earliest opportunity fill in the new keeper supplement under his name, and make sure he know's you're doing this. Even if it means getting him to fill it in himself and you, yourself must pay and send off the V5C. This will cover your back. Tell him you will cancel the insurance and the VED will be no longer valid and walk away.

He now must take the hit, and lesson learnt. I took a £20,000 lesson and moved on. No kids was involved in my relationship, So it was an easy transaction. It's now up to him where he shall 'store' the car as it wont be insured or 'taxed', So he cant have it on the public highway until he sorts that himself, which will cost him.

Yes this means you are without a car, This is your lesson. What happened to my ex, I never knew, Nor cared.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stop paying him, fill out v5 in his name post it off (recorded) and hand him newkeeper slip and keys,

I'd just do V5 transfer online, you then know it's immediately sorted and you get an emailed receipt there and then.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Its not your car. Stop paying him and go buy one of your own.

This if you are able.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport