BT Engineer Scam

Options
2»

Comments

• meggles
    meggles Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - yes, I'm going through account by account changing every password. Using password generator for any account that stores credit card etc. And setting up 2 - step generation. I've now learned that my dear husband bypassed 2-step genereation by giving the scammers the codes as they came through on his phone.

I feel horrible that I never really explained what 2-step verification was and how important it was. He didn't understand.

I'm also looking at upgrading phone with one that blocks numbers... tricky as I'm American and get a lot of legit foreign calls, but we'll find a way.

Thank you all.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Meggles, if its a landline and you are with BT I cannot recommend Call Guardian /Truecall to highly.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/bt/bt8500

This system screens and /or blocks all incoming calls and has made a huge difference to our lives. I think we have had one cold call in the last 18 months .

good luck

Rob
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,679 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had the BT Broadband calls several times and even if you say you're with another BB provider they will insist that BT provides all the cabling (or similar). Fortunately I know this is untrue, so I put the phone down
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had the BT Broadband calls several times and even if you say you're with another BB provider they will insist that BT provides all the cabling (or similar). Fortunately I know this is untrue, so I put the phone down

But it is true. BT maintains the local loop from exchange to property, so if there is an issue there, it is BT Openreach who will attend to fix it, regardless of who your line rental/broadband fee is paid to.
    Scammers will usually claim to be with BT or TT, simply because they are the two with the largest customer base.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    But it is true. BT maintains the local loop from exchange to property, so if there is an issue there, it is BT Openreach who will attend to fix it, regardless of who your line rental/broadband fee is paid to.

Not if you live in Hull :)
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or if you have Virgin cable.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    Or if you have Virgin cable.:)

Virgin cable?

Would that be cable, that has never had a signal inserted into it? :D
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a call today from "TALKTALK " they have called several times in the last few weeks,usually tell them to get lost and hang up,today i said " oh your from talktalk are you? his answer YES,I HAVE A BANANA TO SHOVE UP YOUR AR----LE,i was gobsmacked,have blocked the number but will wait to see if the scammers call back,cheeky b
    s.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Had this call the other day I think "Hello this is BT I need to talk to you about your internet connection, The security has been compromised"

Strange... it was I'm with virgin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport