BT Engineer Scam

Options
ARGH. I'm in the US travelling. My husband is in the UK. He had a phone call with a 'BT engineer' and he gave them access to our computer. They have purchased amazon gift cards, etc....

He's gone to his bank and cancelled card. I've changed all the passwords on email accounts, bank accounts, credit cards. Working my way through other things.

I'm now concerned as he gave them access to our webcam and they took a picture of his driving license and his UK passport.

What do I do? Credit Check reports? How do I report positive identify threat?

Our computer is now offline, and I'll take it to our computer engineer to do a full wipe tomorrow (when I'm back in the UK).

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, send someone round to remove your husbands access to anything with a plug. He clearly cannot be trusted.

Secondly, are you suggesting not only did he allow a BT engineer access to his computer (why would they need that) he also help up his driving license and passport to the camera for them?
  • meggles
    meggles Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes... I love my husband and he's a great guy. But he's scared of technology and it really flusters him. I feel horrible for him as he's 3000 miles away in the UK shaking and crying. I'll save my unplugging til I get home tomorrow.

Yes.... he held up his driving license & passport for them to take a picture of. Seriously !!!!!! does that.

I assume my next port of call is to set BOTH of us up for credit report checking service. reading through martin's guide now.
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get a voluntary CIFAS marker against your names at the credit agencies. CIFAS is an anti-fraud system for the financial sector. It is principally there to protect lenders against fraudulent applications but it can also be used to protect you.

Where someone has been a victim of ID fraud you can get CIFAS to flag your credit file. This means that any future applications where a credit or ID check is required will be flagged and thrown out of the automated account opening process. The bank, phone company or whoever will then examine the application manually.

It does mean that opening a new product, evening a savings account (as these do still require ID checks even though they are not credit scored) may take longer than usual but it is probably worth the inconvenience.

Lenders and other providers are not allowed to take the voluntary CIFAS marker in account when making a credit assessment (ie it should not hit your chances of obtaining credit, but just mean that instant in store type of credit is referred for further checks).

https://www.cifas.org.uk
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    First of all, send someone round to remove your husbands access to anything with a plug. He clearly cannot be trusted.

Secondly, are you suggesting not only did he allow a BT engineer access to his computer (why would they need that) he also help up his driving license and passport to the camera for them?

That's not kind. If you'd seen/ heard how these people work you might be more understanding. This won't have been a five minute conversation, they'll have drawn him in and convinced him that someone was going to take everything off him. Middle and older age men are the most vulnerable group to this, and the damage it can do is far more than financial.

meggles, is there someone that can visit your husband today, give him some reassurance? Do you have adult children?

One thing you need to be aware of is that he'll now be on a list of targets, they know he is vulnerable so he'll receive even more calls. Whatever you do make sure he feels able to speak up in future, in case he is led into this situation again.

For anyone that thinks this is funny, or seeks to judge this person, please keep in mind that people have killed themselves as a result of this kind of abuse. It's not funny, it's not stupidity, it's a fraud that plays to a deep psychological level.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    Back when I had BT Broadband I did have to allow them to remotely access my computer to fix a fault, so it's not a stupid thing that the OP's husband has done as some think. The argument to get across to people is to never give financial information and security details to anyone who has contacted you. If in doubt, hang up and contact the company from a different line.
  • meggles
    meggles Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I arrived back in the UK today. My iphone has now been hacked (didn't get a chance to change iTunes account yesterday).

I'm so pleased that I'm back today. He's pleased that we're working it out together. Yes, I am angry at him. But, he was the victim. I'm so proud that he told me within the hour instead of hiding it or waiting until I got home. That gave me the chance to protect more things.

It's really knocked his confidence. This morning when I arrived at LHR, I couldn't use my cell phone as the hackers at got in. I called him on a payphone, but he wouldn't pick up as he didn't know the number.

I'm looking for some support groups or internet security blogs, etc...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It surprises me you can't use your mobile phone to make a call. I'd be interested to know how that has happened.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    That's not kind. If you'd seen/ heard how these people work you might be more understanding. This won't have been a five minute conversation, they'll have drawn him in and convinced him that someone was going to take everything off him. Middle and older age men are the most vulnerable group to this, and the damage it can do is far more than financial.

meggles, is there someone that can visit your husband today, give him some reassurance? Do you have adult children?

One thing you need to be aware of is that he'll now be on a list of targets, they know he is vulnerable so he'll receive even more calls. Whatever you do make sure he feels able to speak up in future, in case he is led into this situation again.

For anyone that thinks this is funny, or seeks to judge this person, please keep in mind that people have killed themselves as a result of this kind of abuse. It's not funny, it's not stupidity, it's a fraud that plays to a deep psychological level.

Its not only the old and middle aged, i know people who would fall for this scam, quite young, well respected business owners, who, unfortunately, will believe almost anything you tell them.

Some people are just wired that way, wear-as i am suspicious of absolutely everyone and everything.

My advice, question everything, and never, ever give your financial or ID information to anyone on the phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Back when I had BT Broadband I did have to allow them to remotely access my computer to fix a fault, so it's not a stupid thing that the OP's husband has done as some think.

Perhaps not, but showing them your Driving Licence and Passport :huh:
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you/he have used the same passwords on any other sites, even ones not yet compromised, then change them now.

Also set up two factor authentication on Amazon, Ebay, Paypal, iTunes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure