PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

For Sale Board....Still relevant?

Options
Just trying to gauge opinions on whether you think having a 'For Sale Board' when trying to sell your property is still relevant anymore. Most people i know (me included) conduct their search for properties on Rightmove or Zoopla....
We have recently put our house on the market and are pondering the merits of having a sign...:question:

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Around here most houses sell by word of mouth. Most of the neighours know someone who is looking to move into the area and as soon as a For Sale board goes up the village grapevine starts.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We did. I agree that most people will look online but I wasn't looking to move and saw the for sale sign outside the house we went on to buy!
  • LoopyLoops
    LoopyLoops Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We decided to have one at ours. We live in a busy street that had a few others houses for sale when we went on the market, if for some reason we didn't get picked up on a Rightmove search. My Dad lives in a street that goes nowhere, well farm land, so you are only in it for a specific reason. So decided not to have one. Personal preference really.
  • Craign82
    Craign82 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I was having a similar chat with my friends the other day. I think I could sell my house with a homemade 'For Sale, enquire within' sign outside my property and completely cut out the estate agent fee.
    At the end of the day the house sells itself.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If/when I'm househunting seriously I would mostly rely on online searches, but I still often find myself looking up details after seeing a board while I've been out.

Can't do any harm, surely?
  • Victor_the_Gink
    Options
    The board is mostly advertising the estate agent, not the house. Everyone that wants to buy a house will look online, and before that, they would look in the local newspaper etc.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found the first place I bought with my husband walking down the road 10 years ago and we did most of our search online then, so they do count for something
  • Victor_the_Gink
    Options
    Craign82 wrote: »
    I was having a similar chat with my friends the other day. I think I could sell my house with a homemade 'For Sale, enquire within' sign outside my property and completely cut out the estate agent fee.
    At the end of the day the house sells itself.
    Give it a try! I think you would really, really struggle.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why wouldn't you have a board? What do you think you would gain?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We didn't have a board and had viewings, but it wasn't until we decided to finally have a board that a passerby told a friend and our buyer came to view. There are various reasons why you might not want a board but just think it widens the net for potential buyers. Good luck whatever you decide!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure