Old funds v new funds

Options
I've got a total of seven investment funds. The first two I bought about twelve years ago, another three in 2016 and another couple just last week.

I used to use the ii website to track my portfolio but they have just had a big (and very unpopular) revamp so now my two original funds are not recognised on the ii portfolio. It got me thinking about older funds though. There are new funds being launched all the time but the older funds still remain. You can't buy new units but the funds still operate. Do companies put more effort into their new funds? Do the best fund managers gravitate to the newer funds, perhaps at the expense of the older funds?

Going back to the ii website and its problems, can anyone recommend a website or mobile app for tracking their fund and share portfolios, particularly those which can handle older funds?

Thanks.

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your two original funds from twelve years ago are probably 'bundled' funds with high annual charges that paid commission. Commission is not now allowed although existing investors were allowed to keep their existing investments. In many cases these been replaced with new 'clean' or unbundled versions with lower charges since the Retail Distribution Review in early 2014. If you check you may find a clean version you can easily switch to. Same fund, different charges
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are new funds being launched all the time

There are not many fund launches nowadays.
    Do companies put more effort into their new funds?

The fund house usually seeds the fund and will market it more than others.
    Do the best fund managers gravitate to the newer funds, perhaps at the expense of the older funds?
    Nothing suggests that. Most of the high profile launches have been the fund manager of a successful fund leaving the fund house and starting their own fund house and usually make a bit of a mess of it.

I tend to avoid new fund launches. More seem to suffer underperformance early on. All the hype and bluster seems to end in disappointment.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure