Plastic bag charge to double to 10p and apply in ALL shops - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We shop at our local Nisa store.
    Still not charging anything for bags to carry away your purchases with :money:
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good, make them £1.
  • jon_acers
    Options
    @Paul_Herring, you are far too cynical. Go and watch Attenborough's Blue Planet series.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The one where all those Morrison's plastic bags and Wetherspoon's plastic straws ended up in the gastrointestinal systems of marine creatures, Jon?

Sorry - I missed that episode - how much of the stuff found therein did he say came from the UK?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The supermarkets shouldn't even be providing plastic bags, at any cost. Surely everybody should, by now, have got used to having their own shopping bags and remembering to carry them? Large "proper" bags live in the boot of my car, small, foldable fabric ones in my handbag.

Watched a woman put a bunch of bananas in a plastic bag in the supermarket today. Why?
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    The supermarkets shouldn't even be providing plastic bags, at any cost. Surely everybody should, by now, have got used to having their own shopping bags and remembering to carry them? Large "proper" bags live in the boot of my car, small, foldable fabric ones in my handbag.

Watched a woman put a bunch of bananas in a plastic bag in the supermarket today. Why?

You can't really complain whilst you swan around in your pollution machine...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree about the plastic bags, probably best to ban them completely.

But am I the only one thinking that Morrison's are making money from selling paper bags. Shouldn't we expect them as customer service? I remember years ago that Asda used to provide large paper bags at the checkout.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    You can't really complain whilst you swan around in your pollution machine...

OK, I'll bite. In answer to your inane comment: I don't "swan" around anywhere. I use my car very sparingly for very short journeys when absolutely necessary. Other times, I walk or take a bus. My car is 8 years old and I've only done 16,000 miles - hardly "swanning".
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »

But am I the only one thinking that Morrison's are making money from selling paper bags. Shouldn't we expect them as customer service?
    Its likely they will make a profit from the paper bags which I don't mind. Paper bags will have an environmental cost and if offered for free some customers will grab as many as possible. It would also be unfair if "free" bags were offered as the cost would be added to all customers shopping. Why should I subsidise customers who fail to provide their own bags?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My friend works for a supermarket and there are customers that have never bothered to bring their own bags. She serves customers who left the bags in the car, parked in the store's car park, and still buy bags for the entire shop! Just buy one bag for the small items - jars of dried herbs, painkillers, stock cubes etc.

One customer buys a newspaper for 55p and buys a new bag each day.

If bags were £5 each, some customers still won't bother to bring their own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport