Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• Iris_Blue
    Iris_Blue Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    Options
    You asked what others have for personal spends ?

We don't have any as we don't go out much. Hair care, make-up are both included in food shopping, haircuts have a category of their own on the budget sheet as does entertainment.

I don't really know what people spend their personal spends on. But thats because we've never had it.

Every penny we have is accounted for ( to some extent). Although if we really want something then we'll get it as we always have money left over in our budget - it just means that we do OP/save as much that month. It works for us. We share our money and I know that doesn't suit everyone but it suits us.

HTH
    I can't be bothered updating this anymore
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks better when you write it down like that MW.

Originally me regular SO for OP was £50 but increased to £70 following paying for home insurance in one go. Looks like i can add another £67 (round up to £70) making a new regular OP of £120!

I used the spreadsheet yday to see what difference it would make. One of my targets is to get to <100k by end of 2012. These new payments would leave me at 103k so quite in reach! (was 107 based on OP of £50)

Spends wise, as i said DH buys a lot of junk! I personally have hair cut and coloured (by a friend 25) every couple of months, buy occasional Avon (but only things we need and that would be cheaper than supermarket) and not much else I can think of! We tend to spend more when we have a day off together and take DD out but I'm sure we could manage on a lot less for personal spends.

So far today, have managed a few Onepoll surveys and should try and do some more things off my list!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    I appear to have gone slightly off the rails and seriously need to curb my supermarket spending. Popped in for a few things yday for DD bday on Monday and spent £53!

Really need to check out the boards on here for ideas. Anyone got a link please? I try and remember ideas from others diaries but if it's here I may actually do something about it!

On a brighter note, DH has decided he no longer wants a new car (new boiler it is then!) but little does he know that I'm still going to reduce his personal spends!! He literally spends it on cd's,dvd's and junk!! Yes he pays for the odd treat but i'd rather keep the money in our joint account, not have the treat and use it to overpay!

Get paid next week but not sure what I'll be able to OP as taken some money out of savings this month to live on! Not sure what has gone wrong, must have had an expensive month - my money ALWAYS lasts!
  • CathT
    Options
    Managed to have a NSD which was helped by the fact we were both working!
    Am sat here soooo cold this evening, how do lots of you manage not to switch the heating on till November. And yes, I am sat here in my jacket.
    Just checked Onepoll, nothing. Think I missed all the surveys today!

Roll on payday to sort out some OP's!
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am sat here soooo cold this evening, how do lots of you manage not to switch the heating on till November. And yes, I am sat here in my jacket.

If you're sat with your warmest clothes on and am still cold hun then put the heating on.(unless you're willing to do star-jumps to warm up) :) Its not worth getting ill. Me and DH seem to cope without the heating being on ok in our own house but strangely I'm always cold round other peoples!
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • Baby_steps_2
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    I appear to have gone slightly off the rails and seriously need to curb my supermarket spending. Popped in for a few things yday for DD bday on Monday and spent £53!

Really need to check out the boards on here for ideas. Anyone got a link please? I try and remember ideas from others diaries but if it's here I may actually do something about it!
    I always find meal planning really helps keep my food spend down. I do a plan every week and then only buy stuff for those meals, unless the offfers are really good!! That really helps.

I also know a lot of people do on-line shopping, less temptation at the shops that way. As well as cash back!!:rotfl:
    Mortgage @ 01.06.10 £165,999
    Mortgage @ 31.10.13 £14,664
  • CathT
    Options
    Heating went on SmlSave, not that evening, I went to bed instead!!
    Next morning was a bit nippy tho so put it on for an hour to take the chill off as we had people popping round. Can't have them knowing i'm tight!
    Babysteps, i did my first online shop a few weeks ago which was helped by a £10 off voucher and found i did a much better shop because I had to PLAN and literally just bought things off my list. I think the lack of hassle of taking a 2 year old shopping outweighs the delivery cost and Quidco give £1 for Sainsburys. Have last day of being [STRIKE]ruthless[/STRIKE] buying things we need then back to being strict!

Funny how I want it to be payday to work out my OP's rather than to spend any money!

Have a good day everyone, DD birthday today so off to get her more presents!
  • CathT
    Options
    Heating went on SmlSave, not that evening, I went to bed instead!!
    Next morning was a bit nippy tho so put it on for an hour to take the chill off as we had people popping round. Can't have them knowing i'm tight!
    Babysteps, i did my first online shop a few weeks ago which was helped by a £10 off voucher and found i did a much better shop because I had to PLAN and literally just bought things off my list. I think the lack of hassle of taking a 2 year old shopping outweighs the delivery cost and Quidco give £1 for Sainsburys. Have last day of being [STRIKE]ruthless[/STRIKE] buying what we need then back to strick MSE!

DD birthday today so off out to get her more presents so should be lots of fun! :j

Can't wait for payday, not so I can spend but so I can work out OP's! Am used to sending smaller OP throughout the month but not seemed to have happened this month :mad:

Have a good day everyone!
  • CathT
    Options
    Excuse the double post, internet playing up!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well it's payday tomorrow so hoping for some back pay from last month I am owed. Have no idea what my wage will be but hoping to make a decent OP. This month has been so expensive and I have only OP £60 and what I saved has ended up being spent :mad:

Really must get back on track this monh esp with the food shop. Anticipate lots of stews being eaten!

Have bought a few presents for Christmas, really not going mad and spending a lot. Need to get organised and make a written note of what I have bought and where it is because I always forget!

Possibly doing a car boot sale at weekend (weather permitting), maybe if we clear clutter I won't feel like we are outgrowing the house! Obviously anything made will be going to OP.

Having better luck with Onepoll, have realised hardly any surveys get sent to my phone so am remembering to check when I'm on computer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback