PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can anyone help?

Options
Hi, can someone please help me with any advice... good or bad I'll take it!
I did post an earlier post but since then I have been sent home from work with stress because of how this move is going. Second week in a row I have ended up crying in front of my MD's because of this and I am being overdramatic, I know I am so maybe that's why I've come here so someone can talk some sense into me.

Long story short -
My partner's parents were moving to the Isle of Wight so we looked to buy a house and I had an offer accepted on a house 10th April 2017, solicitors were instructed 11th April and everything started moving.
Two weeks after offer was accepted Connells contacted me to say the vendors were moving in with parents so there was now no chain (we are first time buyers) Connells even said "we should get you in for the end of May"

Today is 11th July and we still don't have a date!There have been a few delays, [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Property Information Form and Fittings and Contents Form taking weeks to be sent. Enquiries on the contract which took 4 weeks to finally resolve and now we are waiting the vendors to get a redemption figure on their help to buy (the survey was carried out 19/06/2017!)

My partners parents moved 25th June, which I know is no-ones fault, essentially leaving my partner homeless. We have now incurred extra costs (catteries and storage) and my partner is currently sleeping on a blow up bed in my parents 2 bedroom bungalow (again no-ones fault!)

I am at a loss now of what to do. We don't want to pull out as we don't want to lose the property. The cattery have given us a deadline of 23rd July which has given us more uneeded pressure. I have chased everyone I possibly can (including the vendors) and I just feel like nothing is going right or moving forward.

What do you guys recommend or think?

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    do things you have control over - ie look for another cattery.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    House purchases can take upto 12 months - so why on earth haven't you rented in the meantime?
  • claireodonnell1989
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    House purchases can take upto 12 months - so why on earth haven't you rented in the meantime?

We can't afford to rent in the meantime
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Take up yoga.

Until you exchange all bets are off and there is very little you can do about the hold-ups.

Why have the cattery given you a deadline of 23rd July? Are there any other catteries near by you could use instead? No friends or family able to take the cats in for a few weeks?
  • claireodonnell1989
    Options
    do things you have control over - ie look for another cattery.

I can't find another cattery who can have him on such short notice and we don't have a family member for friend who can have him =(
  • claireodonnell1989
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Take up yoga.

Until you exchange all bets are off and there is very little you can do about the hold-ups.

Why have the cattery given you a deadline of 23rd July? Are there any other catteries near by you could use instead? No friends or family able to take the cats in for a few weeks?

I think I'm more likely to take up drinking than yoga!!

They are fully booked come that date, we booked him last minute as it was.
    I have phone local catteries and they are fully booked and we don't have anyone that can take him in
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    We can't afford to rent in the meantime
    How is that possible? You can afford to buy but not to rent?

How will you afford repairs and replacements e.g. boiler packs in 1 week after you complete?
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I can't find another cattery who can have him on such short notice and we don't have a family member for friend who can have him =(

Would Cats Protection be able to help in the short term, especially if you offered to pay to support him?

I know this is probably not strictly what they 'do' but I'm sure they would if they could accommodate him rather than see him come in for rehoming.

Can he not stay wherever you are staying? If allergies or other pets etc a problem, ensure he's confined to one room, with litter box etc, and make sure to clean the room again afterward?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options

you need to think laterally.

is there a local cats home that could temporary take him in for a fee / you volunteering your services?

could he be a house cat and stay at your parents for a while?

Just remember pulling out now would leave you out of pocket & won't solve the situation
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to wait for the redemption figure, so there's no point getting yourself worked up before that. Next steps:

1) Ask your solicitors for a list of what else is outstanding
    2) Extend the cattery or find alternative longer term housing for the cats now rather than at the deadline
    3) If partner's current accommodation is unsustainable, find an alternative (holiday rentals? BnB? lodger?
    3) Get on with life until the redemption figure comes in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure