Why was friend offended?

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :huh: is my emoji, read it 3 times and still no clue.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps he just hit the wrong button and really wanted a laughing face.
  • textbook
    textbook Posts: 582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He quoted the bit of text which was the £30 . This is what I paid for his kids at my son's party. He didn't quote the other complaints about maintenance etc. Which makes me think I offended him bringing up the paying for his kids or something
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    For goodness sake ever heard the expression it's good to talk?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This reads that you invited his kids and now you have thrown this cost you £30 in his face.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    textbook wrote: »
    He quoted the bit of text which was the £30 . This is what I paid for his kids at my son's party. He didn't quote the other complaints about maintenance etc. Which makes me think I offended him bringing up the paying for his kids or something
    This wasn't clear in your original text.
    i.e. that the £30 you paid was for the kids of the friend you were texting.
    I was complaining to my friend through a text about my girlfriend moaning to my mum that I don't give her enough money with them saying I only paid half the ferry costs etc (for next holiday) and then £30 for our son's birthday (for 2 kids) while she paid for everyone else. I pointed out to friend that this was the first year I was allowed to invite anyone ( his two kids). I wasn't allowed any of my friend's kids before.- He put a sad icon on his reply to this.
    For goodness sake ever heard the expression it's good to talk?
    I have.
    Is there an expression "It's good to make sure anything you post on a pubic forum makes sense"? ;)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why should you invite your friend's children to your child's party?

I thought birthday parties were for friends of the birthday child, not children of friends of the parents unless the child is also friends with them, in which case they would be invited as friends of the birthday child,
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe he was sad that it was the first time you were allowed to invite them rather than offended that you mentioned that you had to pay for them. This is the problem with texts and emojis, they can cause confusion! CALL your friend and say 'Hiya Mate, it occured to me that my text might have come across wrong, I just wanted to check your weren't offended as I didn't mean to'.... all sorted!
  • HurdyGurdy
    HurdyGurdy Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My [ex?]girlfriend has been complaining to my mother that I don't give her enough money [for maintenance?]

I was grumbling to my friend about this, when my friend pointed out that I had only paid half the ferry costs for the next holiday, plus I had only paid for the cost of his two children attending my son's birthday party [£30] when my [ex]girlfriend had paid the rest of the costs of the party [and the holiday?] "

I replied to him that this was the first year that I had been allowed to ask anyone to my son's party, and that had I had chosen to invite his two children, and that my girlfriend had not allowed me to invite any of my friends' children before".

He put a sad icon on his reply to this.

Why?

I've reworded part of the OP, to how I understand it.

So my answer to why your friend put a sad emoji would be to show sympathy for you not being allowed to invite any of your friends' children to your son's parties in the past, i.e. s/he feels sad that you'd not been allowed to choose guests, and not that they were offended in any way.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

Is there an expression "It's good to make sure anything you post on a pubic forum makes sense"? ;)

I hadn't realised this was THAT sort of forum! :rotfl:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure