How to compare quotes for windows?

Options
2»

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    difficult to say without seeing . put a pic from the inside and might have a better guess but that is all it would be . most original box sash have linings (where your weight access are ) and architrave . normally fancy and often six full inches on sides and top with a bull nose small sub cill at the bottom , if you still have the shutters. the bottom below the frame might be panelled . if you lift the cill off there will be a space about 3 inches down to the skirt . pic will help though or send it PM if you need to hoover up :):D
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Andrea15
    Andrea15 Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Greenface, I take advantage of your kindness. ;)

Pictures enclosed. From what I FEEL the wirst bit is the mullion. Behind it there is a gale...

Above the window everything seems intact.

2018-10-30%2011.03.17.jpg?dl=0
    2018-10-30%2010.29.14.jpg?dl=0

The images are not loading, so I am enclosing the links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itat813zw6ceand/2018-10-30%2010.29.14.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjsvho4m5s0dcbo/2018-10-30%2011.03.17.jpg?dl=0
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    tHANKS OLD STONE PILLER BOX SASH . PROBS no insulation behind any of it the mahog bay would help by getting something all around esp below . check there are no air bricks outside you will be blocking up though . normally underfloor level but not always . good to see the old built in shutters aswell .
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    In the end I found a Profile 22 based supplier that did me a decent price. £4k for the windows and then I had a composite door on top as well.

I did think about the cheaper quotes, but knew what I wanted and the overall price difference wasn't that significant. The cheaper quotes either forgot to include safety glass in the bay and bedroom windows or didn't quote for a like for like basis on openers. There was probably £400 in it at best. May as well buy something you have more confidence in then.

Definitely noticing a difference warmth wise. Some of that will be down to the extra loft insulation we had done last month as well. It's exciting. With a new boiler and rads to go in there is even a chance it may get cosy !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure