Relative with terminal illness travel insurance waiver

Options
ktel1
ktel1 Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hi All
Not been in this situation before and it my be a daft question to ask but does anyone know if there is an insurer that will provide travel insurance with a waiver against a relative with a terminal condition?

To clarify, this relative will not be travelling with us but it is against cancellation if they were to pass away at the time we have planned to travel.

Upsetting subject but necessary in circumstances!
Thanks

Comments

• cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would almost certainly be cheaper and easier to book yourself a flexible option instead of trying to insure against cancellation.
  • ktel1
    Options
    Thanks for reply, what do you mean by flexible option?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    If this is a close relative I'm guessing every insurer would provide this but you might need to phone up to get a quote.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Options
    ktel1 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, what do you mean by flexible option?

Booking flights and hotels which can be cancelled or changed at no cost.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    cubegame wrote: »
    Booking flights and hotels which can be cancelled or changed at no cost.
    Alternatively you could look at booking last minute, and check prices of last minute flights should you need to come home early. Some airlines will offer compassionate fares, on others it might be cheaper to book non flexible flights and simply buy another if necessary. Check what the routes cost now for flying tomorrow to get an idea (but factor in peak holiday times if that's when you're travelling).

Some budget airlines offer flexible fares (eg EasyJet). It's easy to find hotels that are cancellable up till the day you go.
  • ktel1
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and advice. We had already booked a full package holiday before my partner's dad receive his diagnosis. We are obviously concerned if anything happens on or around the time we are due to go away. Hence the desire to be able to get insurance that will cover Us under those circumstances?
    Can anyone tell me if it is worth contacting the holiday company to see if there is any support if the worst should happen?

Thanks again all
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if it is worth contacting the holiday company to see if there is any support if the worst should happen?

Probably not, it's really a matter for your insurance. Hindsight is everything of course but this is why you should always take out insurance as soon as you book.But as I said before, it shouldn't be a problem getting the insurance you need.
  • ktel1
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Probably not, it's really a matter for your insurance. Hindsight is everything of course but this is why you should always take out insurance as soon as you book.But as I said before, it shouldn't be a problem getting the insurance you need.

Thanks, any recommendations on insurers? The few I have looked at, including the insurer we have used previously via MSE recommendation, specifically state they don't cover a close relative with a terminal diagnosis. So it wouldn't have mattered whether we had sorted out insurance before he found out anyway (which was literally within 2 weeks of booking the hol).
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some insurers wil do cover if the terminal illness is over 12 months expected life. Do you know the prognosis of terminality?
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Thanks, any recommendations on insurers? The few I have looked at, including the insurer we have used previously via MSE recommendation, specifically state they don't cover a close relative with a terminal diagnosis. So it wouldn't have mattered whether we had sorted out insurance before he found out anyway (which was literally within 2 weeks of booking the hol).

No, you would have been covered as long as the illness or diagnosis was pre-existing when taking out the insurance. Try Googling "travel insurance relative with terminal illness", I'm getting quite a few links where your issue is discussed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure