Death certificate first names

Options
I am sorting out my mums estate after her death and trying to transfer some 1200 Centrica gas shares to my brother who already has some but Equinity have returned all the paperwork because my mums 2 middle names are reversed on the Death Certificate compared to her share certificates. What can I do.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2018 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Did she use the names that way around on any other documents or is this just a one off mistake ?

If she used the names that way round so it was a name she was sometimes known by, then you can get the death certificate amended so that it reads "x y Smith otherwise y x Smith" which should cover it.

You may be able to use a statutory declaration stating that the two people named are one and the same, if the share registrar will accept it.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    ralley wrote: »
    I am sorting out my mums estate after her death and trying to transfer some 1200 Centrica gas shares to my brother who already has some but Equinity have returned all the paperwork because my mums 2 middle names are reversed on the Death Certificate compared to her share certificates. What can I do.
    You need to speak to the Centrica share registrar. They will probably require a statutory declaration, copy of the will and some form of identity.
  • ralley
    ralley Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Her medical information is the only time her names were the same as the Death Cert. And Centrica had all the info death cert. & will.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    ralley wrote: »
    Her medical information is the only time her names were the same as the Death Cert. And Centrica had all the info death cert. & will.
    The answer is the same. You need to discuss it with the Centrica Registrar rather than the company.
  • ralley
    ralley Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Bit more info. Death cert. showed w.j.h surname. Shares showed w.h.j.surname.
  • LobsterMemory
    LobsterMemory Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FWIW, this was dealt with in my case as part of the process leading to Grant of Probate. Part of the oath I swore stated that, as my mother didn't use her middle name on occasions, the Grant should apply whether she used the name MHK or MK
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2018 at 10:21PM
    Options
    FWIW, this was dealt with in my case as part of the process leading to Grant of Probate. Part of the oath I swore stated that, as my mother didn't use her middle name on occasions, the Grant should apply whether she used the name MHK or MK

I would think there are quite a few occasions when people are "also known as... "
    Similarly my mother had a second middle name which she hadn't used for decades and in fact was baptised and confirmed with neither middle name aged 40. I crossed my fingers, hoped no-one ever wanted the birth cert and made sure U got the death cert to say the same as her passport and driving licence and so far seems to have worked with everything else.
  • LobsterMemory
    Options
    Though with a thousand years of wills and probate, where the courts must have seen near every unlikely scenario imaginable, we should be past the concept of "fingers crossed" :)
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting re names though - grandmother used to swap her first and middle names around around from time to time.
    Mother's second middle name only appeared on the birth cert and then disappeared by the time of marriage / first passport / driving licence / baptism / last will and testament - might have caused havoc including it on the probate / death cert
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    I can understand why the register is being picky.

They don't know you from Adam.

You want to now how bad things can go with someone with a death certificate, read this story.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-5748003/TONY-HETHERINGTON-zombie-make-catastrophic-error-account.html
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income