PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Adding Kerb appeal in February?

Options
Kittenonthekeys
Kittenonthekeys Posts: 314 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 February 2018 at 7:56PM in House buying, renting & selling
We put our house on the market last week but there's been much less interest in it than we hoped/expected. It does seem priced about right as far as we're aware. So far, we've had one 'proceedable' viewing (they came, they spent 45 mins, they disappeared with no feedback given), one 'non-proceedable' which was cancelled, and have another non-proceedable viewing booked for next week.
I know this is generally a quiet time of year but I think our house should be doing better. Imo it doesn't have enough kerb appeal - link to pic here
[url] https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1a0lwf2hely2ye/2018-02-06 13.10.35.jpg?dl=0[/url]
There isn't much scope to do any of the usual front garden things because there *is* no front garden; the front door opens straight onto the street, but I think it looks a bit drab, even though the inside of the house is not. The window ledges are shallow and they slope so we can't have window boxes.
It's in a quiet, safe, pleasant conservation area and we are happy with the inside pics taken by the agent, but I can't help thinking the outside pic of the house may be putting people off. I usually put some seasonal plants outside, as do other neighbours in our little terrace, but as it's February - and very cold as we all know - there's little or no chance of having nice colourful flowers (which provide a good contrast to the black.)
At the moment we have a small olive tree and a dormant climber in containers outside the door but these aren't doing anything to brighten the appearance.
Please could anyone give me some pointers to help me brighten it up a bit? Or am I best being a bit more patient and waiting til spring?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Winter pansies?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's about the time of year for daffs and pansies to start doing their thing.
    Having said that, I don't think that picture would be me off having a look - it's not that bad.
    Have you looked at comparative recent sale prices, rather than what they're going on for?

ETA - the black tubs aren't great. Maybe shift them and get something brighte.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kittenonthekeys
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, most sold prices have been higher than ours, but our house has been hard to value because every house in the area is different - even within our own terrace, so there's little yardstick to base anything on.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Next door right has got window boxes up stairs.
  • pinklady21
    Options
    A nice pot of daffs? You can pick up some almost in flower at the moment from the garden centre, or maybe even Lidls. The flowers will go over fairly quickly, but you can simply replace them with others in flower.
    I also think the outside of the house looks fine. Best of luck!
  • Kittenonthekeys
    Options
    Sorry, I was talking about the bay window downstairs. We used to have window boxes upstairs like the ones next door but nothing will survive - it's too exposed and windy - we're '2nd line' up facing a river. Next door have never actually had plants in those window boxes!
  • Kittenonthekeys
    Options
    Thanks all, for the flower suggestions. A trip to the garden centre is on the agenda for tomorrow!
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd go for this sort of look https://cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/000/575/668/normal_DSC_1405.jpg

Also, could you lift your blinds and have a vase of flowers in the window for a bit more colour?
  • Kittenonthekeys
    Options
    Thank you lika_86 - I think those are great ideas, simple but effective.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A tub of flowers isn't going to help sell a house!!! I think you should just wait. Selling a house can take a fair while at times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure