Buy Premium Bonds By Telephone

Options
Today On page 537 Teletext Channel 4 says

"Premium Bonds are going to be sold over the phone for the first time since they were launched in 1957"

It says that they can be bought by calling 0500 007 007.

But guess what!!

YOU HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS FOR AGES ALREADY FOR AT LEAST THE LAST 2 YEARS COS I HAVE BEEN BUYING THEM LIKE THAT. & I have been buying them on the 0500 007 007 number.

So how come teletext is talking about this as though it is a new revolution when it is something that joe public already knew ?

Don't you think its about time the people at teletext got their facts right ?

Martin as a journalist yourself, why do you think it is that the teletext journalists who write the financial pages seem to have their facts wrong in this instance?

Comments

• 1jacks64
    1jacks64 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    & LOOK AT THIS BBC 2 Ceefax p.215

"NS&I says the service will be the wuickest way to invest in Premium Bonds - with no need to fill out an application form." (even though on channel 4 it says that they will send you a slip to sign after you have bought the bonds, so there is a difference of opinions here).

"Customers will simply have to phone the service and using a debit card, they can buy bonds over the phone."

"The new service will be available from Monday 12th July on 0500 007 007" (But Guess what YOU CAN ALREADY DO THIS & HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FOR AGES)

(BBC 2 Ceefax Pg. 215, Sat 10 July)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answer as to why is easy. BUt first are you sure it's wrong - while you could call up in the past - didnt they require an application form if you didnt have any existing premium bonds.

And the reason both Ceefax and teletext have it is the following press realease. Many journalists write off the back of press releases (not me - as i'm not a 'news' based journalist i make up my own subjects). And to be fair as NSI are saying it - they would be the source.

For your info here is the release

Put a call in to ERNIE
    Customers now able to invest in Premium Bonds over the phone
    From 12 July, customers will be able to invest in Premium Bonds over the telephone by calling 0500 007 007. National Savings and Investments (NS&I) has developed a new service that allows customers to invest from the comfort of their own armchairs, without having to fill out an application form.

The new service will be the quickest way to invest in Premium Bonds, taking just a few minutes over the phone using a debit card. Customers will then be sent a confirmation form to sign and return to NS&I. It's easy to do, whether on a regular or one-off basis.

The popularity of Premium Bonds has grown dramatically over the past five years as the amount invested has doubled to over £24 billion. Nationwide, 23 million people hold Premium Bonds. On average, customers make new investments worth £400 million each month.

Developing services for customers

Offering customers the chance to invest in Premium Bonds by telephone is the latest in a number of developments that have increased customer access to NS&I's products and services. Earlier in the year, the Easy Access Savings Account was launched. It offers increased access via ATMs, as well as over the counter at the Post Office(tm) and direct with NS&I over the phone. NS&I has also expanded the number of products customers can invest in via the website and over the phone.

Gill Cattanach, marketing director for National Savings and Investments, said, "We are always looking into more convenient ways for customers to save.

"The new telephone service makes it easier than ever for customers to invest in Premium Bonds, offering them the chance of winning one of over 1 million tax-free prizes NS&I is giving away in September's draw."

How to buy Premium Bonds

* Using a debit card and calling NS&I on 0500 007 007

* Completing an application form available at any Post Office(tm) branch and investing over the counter or posting to NS&I

* Downloading an application form from the NS&I website at https://www.nsandi.com

* Requesting a form from NS&I over the phone at 0845 964 5000

1 million Premium Bond prizes

The prize fund rate is currently 2.60% per annum tax-free, equivalent to 3.25% p.a. gross for a basic rate tax payer and 4.33% p.a. gross for a higher rate tax payer.

From 1 September 2004, the prize fund rate will go up to 2.80% per annum tax free, and on 1 October it increases again to 3.00%, with odds fixed at 24,000 to 1. The change in the prize fund rate in September means the number of monthly Premium Bond prizes increases to more than 1 million for the first time ever.

Like all National Savings and Investments products, Premium Bonds offer investors 100% security, backed by HM Treasury, as well as the sense of fun that comes from winning tax-free prizes.

How Premium Bonds work

Premium Bonds go into a monthly draw and, if ERNIE, the Blackpool-based number cruncher, produces numbers that match a Premium Bond held by a customer, a prize, ranging from £50 up to the £1 million jackpot, is awarded.

In July 2004, just over 877,000 prizes worth £52.2 million were awarded. The overall value of prizes paid out each month is based on the prize fund rate and the number of Bonds in the draw. This means the more money invested in Premium Bonds, the higher the overall value of prizes awarded.

Ends
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • 1jacks64
    1jacks64 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Martin. I see your point about people not originally owning premium bonds and how helpful it would be for them to call up. The press release you have provided is pretty helpful and has some useful information. Thanks for that.

By the way. A little moneysaving tip. The number that the post office provide in the application forms has an 0845 number to call them on. But I found out the freephone 0500 number when they wrote to me asking if I'd like to buy more bonds. I've no idea why they've tried to keep the 0500 number under wraps!

Maybe someone would like to let saynoto0870 about this in case they already didn't know in case I don't get round to it!
  • Leia_Stephens
    Options
    Thanks for these tips, 1jacks64 and Martin :)

I can see myself buying Premium Bonds using the 0500 number soon ;D

Leia
    I want to be a good saver, but I find it difficult to control my temptation to spend :o .

I owe £1,247 more than I have in savings :( .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure