I owe me ex some money.

Options
Hello hope you can help me out because im stressing out right now.
I borrowed 540 pound of my ex for a mountain bike in January we broke up since and I still owe her 350 pound. Her dad wants to take me to court if I don't pay it back over the next 4/5 weeks. I only earn 88 pound per week and after the loans I owe and the board I have to pay and phone contract etc I only have 20 left each week. So I have no chance of paying it all back withing 5 weeks. Any advice of what I should do? Or any info on what would happen if he took me to court?
I can't afford no more and have nothing worth selling to even make the money up.
I can only afford 20 a week but his not budging?
Any help would be great thank you. Worrying about it so much.

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could you get a job to supplement whatever the £88 A week is from (assume benefits as if worm these are very part time hours)

The father would at least see you are trying to repay the debt faster.

A court is unlikely want their time wasted if you have and are consistently sticking to making regular paymeents.

What have you agrèed with your ex. Is she not capable of making her own decisions? At the end of the day she gave you the money...... how did she expect you to pay it back?

Alternatively sell the bike
  • Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sell the bike.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    To pay back the £350 you still owe will take 17.5 weeks at £20.

Does your ex and her Father understand your financial position?

If he does take you to court and wins you may have to sell the bike to pay.
    I'm not sure if it's possible for him to take you to court as your debt is with his daughter, not him.

Was the agreement that you'd pay your ex back at £20 per week every week?

Have you paid the £20 per week on time every week?
    Because even if you bought the bike at the end of January, it's still 17 weeks ago and by now you should have paid £340, not the £190 you say you have paid.

Maybe your ex's Father is pushing for the money because you've not been paying the agreed amount every week and he feels you're taking advantage of his daughter's generosity.

Do you have anything in writing about this agreement?
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hand the bike back to your ex
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    sell the bike

set up a standing order for the shortfall of £x a week
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Casey1709
    Casey1709 Posts: 225 Forumite
    Options
    Just keep paying your ex £20 a week - it ll take months before it gets to small claims court by which time you ll have it paid off. Explain to your ex what you re doing. Just don t slack off or miss payments as if it does get to court you may have to pay costs on top of what you owe.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As Casey says, just keep paying. Don't pay cash - keep a paper trail. Start sending emails or something saying you've sent it as per your agreement, or a cheque with a letter.

I definitely wouldn't be selling the bike. She presumably agreed to lend you the money - she wouldn't stand a cat in hell's chance in court if you can prove you've been paying (even better if you have texts or something confirming your arrangement).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what was the original agreement ?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ae_elson95 wrote: »
    I borrowed 540 pound of my ex for a mountain bike in January we broke up since and I still owe her 350 pound. Her dad wants to take me to court if I don't pay it back over the next 4/5 weeks. I only earn 88 pound per week and after the loans I owe and the board I have to pay and phone contract etc I only have 20 left each week. So I have no chance of paying it all back withing 5 weeks. Any advice of what I should do? Or any info on what would happen if he took me to court?
    I can't afford no more and have nothing worth selling to even make the money up.

I don't think that the OP has been paying £20 a week so far.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Ae_elson95 wrote: »
    Ex's father needs to understand a couple of things:

1. He can't make a court claim if the money is not owed to him
    2. The court view a reasonable repayment period as being 3-5 years, so if the daughter started a claim, and won it, the courts may well order you to pay a smaller amount than you seem to be offering voluntarily.

If you can afford your other commitments plus £20 per week to the ex, then start paying that. If just a tenner, pay that, but do it regularly and consistently

If a court claim comes, it's only a paper exercise. Get National Debtline and/or the debt-free wannabee board to help you complete the paperwork, and maybe run the other loans past them at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure