Moving on from Halifax

Options
13»

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    The Clarity issue being resolved is great news - I think the next aspect is getting a suitable switching account.

M&S probably looks like my best option with the £125 voucher and the 5% regular saver - I don't think this can be topped.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Regarding Clarity I agree there is confirmation now the current account isn't necessary for payments but I still wonder if it is wise to not keep the account. Comments suggest having an account helps qualifying for the card, those without seem to have had lower acceptance rates and lower credit limits if accepted. The Clarity card is my preferred card and I'm planning to manually switch my DD away from Halifax but keep the account alive with minimal balance just in case.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    Regarding Clarity I agree there is confirmation now the current account isn't necessary for payments but I still wonder if it is wise to not keep the account. Comments suggest having an account helps qualifying for the card, those without seem to have had lower acceptance rates and lower credit limits if accepted. The Clarity card is my preferred card and I'm planning to manually switch my DD away from Halifax but keep the account alive with minimal balance just in case.
    Even if you're able to back up your reference to those anecdotal 'comments', it would surprise me greatly if Halifax's decisions about Clarity credit limits were influenced in any way by someone maintaining a token balance on an otherwise dormant current account! Acceptance isn't an issue for OP, who also already has the card....
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Even if you're able to back up your reference to those anecdotal 'comments', it would surprise me greatly if Halifax's decisions about Clarity credit limits were influenced in any way by someone maintaining a token balance on an otherwise dormant current account! Acceptance isn't an issue for OP, who also already has the card....

Why always so aggressive/hostile? There are various threads including on MSE e.g. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5318781

My Clarity card has the same high balance as my main credit card from Lloyds and I believe this is due entirely to data sharing within the Lloyds Group. However, interestingly my 4 applications over 4 years for the Clarity card failed until I held a Halifax current account for one year. Halifax themselves then sent me a pre-approved form, all I had to do was sign and return. Throughout my Halifax balance has always been in the low hundreds, it alone would never justify the limit I have, but clearly not having an account with them was a handicap in their eyes.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    Options
    Not consciously being aggressive or hostile, just challenging a conclusion that doesn't actually appear to be supported even by the anecdotal evidence - in that thread you refer to, those without a Halifax current account generally fared better with Clarity applications than those with one, even if your own experience differs, so there may be some confirmation bias at play here?

And as I said, even if there was any correlation for applications, that doesn't mean that someone with both a current account and a Clarity should retain the former to improve their chances of keeping the latter, as you seemed to be implying....
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    Why always so aggressive/hostile? There are various threads including on MSE e.g. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5318781

My Clarity card has the same high balance as my main credit card from Lloyds and I believe this is due entirely to data sharing within the Lloyds Group. However, interestingly my 4 applications over 4 years for the Clarity card failed until I held a Halifax current account for one year. Halifax themselves then sent me a pre-approved form, all I had to do was sign and return. Throughout my Halifax balance has always been in the low hundreds, it alone would never justify the limit I have, but clearly not having an account with them was a handicap in their eyes.

I applied for a Clarity card earlier this year and was given it, with the highest credit limit I've ever had on a credit card. And I've never had a Halifax current account. Interestingly. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure