Home Insurance discontinued claim

Options
Hi
In September last year we noticed our front porch was showing cracks all around the the entrance to the actual house. Cracks were evident outside too. We got a couple of builders out who said the porch wasn't probably tied to the house. One suggested contacting our insurer, who is Churchill. When I called them, they asked me what the problem was, which I told them, but i said I didn't know the cause. I was put through to the subsidence dept, without me realising (at no point did I say it was subsidence). I was asked whether I wanted to continue with the claim and that a loss adjuster would come round to have a look and advise on the problem. This seemed a good idea because we would find out what the problem was. However a few days past and I started to feel uncomfortable and I phoned and cancelled the claim from proceeding. I was told that the claim would remain on file (even though we didn't proceed). Eventually I was able to get some quotes from builders to remedy the problem or rebuild it (basically I just wanted it sorted out). The builder we decided to use tied the porch to the house and repointed the areas that were coming away. It cost the grand total of £230.

I really wish I hadn't contacted the insurer at all as my insurance is due for renewal on 14 February and I have fears it will be extortionate.

Can anyone advise whether I need to actually declare this on comparison sites as I didn't proceed? I suspect I will have lost my no claims discount as well so home insurance is going to be costly.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Ness46

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes you need to declare it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why will you have lost any no claims discount when you didn't actually make a claim?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • danthemoneysavingman
    Options
    I wouldn't bother as you can surely (from receipt) prove it was not subsidence at all. Why not get your insurer to be very clear about this so you are left in no doubt... unless of course they lie to you just so you renew with them... (surely not)
    Let me Google that for you...
  • vrushworth
    Options
    Hi
    I was told I would lose my no claims and I was told I had to declare it when looking to renew. I have never claimed previously.
  • Lanky68
    Options
    I have just had a similar upsetting experience. Our 50 year old house which we have lived in for 11 years suddenly started to have alarming cracks in the downstairs walls. Having experienced this before, in a previous property I was pretty convinced that it was subsidence. I contacted my insurance company who sent out a loss adjuster team to investigate. I have yet to receive the full report, but to summarise it is subsidence, but because the affected walls were built on a concrete slab rather than separate footings it is not covered on the policy. I could not find this wording on my policy & the loss adjuster eventually had to ask for it to be e mailed to him. So I am faced with a bill of many thousands for rectification. To add insult to injury I have just had to renew my policy & was told that because there is a claim for subsidence on record & despite the fact that nothing was actually paid my premium has gone through the roof. I feel really peeved by this, the insurance companies are trying to find every way to screw us poor customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure