Police Report for Insurance?

Options
Hey,

So on new years eve I had my phone stolen. The following morning I reported the incident to the metropolitan police (online), obtained my crime reference number and reported it to my insurance company (SWITCHED ON INSURANCE).

The insurance have now come back to me demanding a Crime Report. After speaking with the met police they have said I would need to go to the freedom of information dept and request it (could take weeks and will cost me).

The insurance replied with this :

'As we are based in Gibraltar and not in the UK we are not party to the Memorandum of Understanding between the ICO and the ABI which permits insurers to request information from a police force for the purposes of validating a claim. Therefore we require you to request the police provide you with a crime report that confirms the details of the incident, device and your details. If they will not provide a report in a timely manor we will accept and email from the police that confirms the aforementioned details.'

​I have no idea what to do and am without a phone. ​

Comments

• dauphin
    dauphin Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might try pointing out to Switched On Insurance/Taurus that whilst they may be based in Gibraltar, the Insurer is AmTrust Europe Limited whose registered office is in Nottingham and which is a member of the ABI. There would not seem to be any reason why AmTrust could not apply to the police in accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding referred to.
    If, as you say, you are without a phone it would surely make sense to get hold of a cheap one or borrow an old one for the time being.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure