RAC Double standards - Where do i stand?

Options
Hi All,

A 3rd party vehicle crashed into my car. They've admitted liability and arrange for my car to go for repairs via their insurer RAC.

My car went to an insurance approved bodyshop 3 times and all 3 times the repair was shoddy. I refused to let them take my car again and arranged to have it repaired at a bodyshop of my choice. I spoke with RAC and they advised me to get a quote for the repair, which i did and sent over. They approved the costs so i booked my car into the garage.

Approximately 10 days passed since my quote was approved by RAC and my car going to my bodyshop. I was then contacted by my bodyshop that RAC have been in touch and requested for certain things not be done which were on the quote they approved. When i called RAC they denied it........until showed them the email they sent to my bodyshop asking for things not to be done.
My question is can RAC do this when they have already approved the quote and my car is in the garage?

In my opinion i feel they cant as if the tables were turned and it was a customer giving incorrect information they wouldn't hesitate and invalidate the claim......am i right in my think?

I've tried taking this to FOS however as RAC are not my insurer they wont look into it. I feel these underhand tactics are not on and they should be held accountable for it.

What do you think? what can i try next?

Thanks,
Dipak

Comments

• ConMan
    ConMan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    How much does the removed work come to? Is it worth the fight.

This is the issue when you claim from the other insurer, you have no FOS protection. You could try and raise a complaint with the RAC. Some insurers will still deal with your complaint but just not give you FOS rights.
    You'll find me sat in the corner with a pack of dry roasted and a Guinness.
  • Dipak
    Dipak Posts: 212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ConMan wrote: »
    How much does the removed work come to? Is it worth the fight.

This is the issue when you claim from the other insurer, you have no FOS protection. You could try and raise a complaint with the RAC. Some insurers will still deal with your complaint but just not give you FOS rights.

I'm asking myself the same thing!! RAC offerred a goodwill gesture which i declined as i felt they were trying to sweep their mistake under the carpet.

I've worked in home insurance before and if a customer made a claim and then later changed their story then there is a high chance of their claim being voided unless its clearly justified as to why things have changed. Its the principle, RAC tried a fast one,i caught them but no one can slap their wrist for it, it seems.

Might be one i just learn from and move on.....frustrating though
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is it they are refusing to fund?

If you have a door that was already dented and the accident added a new dent, then there's a case to argue about what they should be paying for.

Ultimately, if you are not happy with what they have done you have to take them to court to pay for the repairs.(Technically you have to take the driver to court and the insurer will take over the case)
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure