PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

pre payment meter

Options
I've fallen into some arrears with british gas since losing my job I've explained I was a victim of crime and been very stressed, they were meant to come fit pre payment meter last week then changed it to the 25th this is under warrant. I've been given notice on the flat due to it being sold, I've explained this also, can my landlord keep my deposit if they change it over ironically if I can get my deposit I can pay the bill.If he can keep it then I'm further in debt anyone knowabout this

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is charge for your LL to get the prepayment meter removed then he can probably pass this charge on to you. Via the deposit if necessary.

When does your notice expire?
    When do you want to leave?
    Have you somewhere lined up to move to?

Can you not simply tell BG not to install the prepayment meter if you are about to move? Do they need access in order to install it?
  • flick24
    flick24 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    notice expires 27/5/ but I'm moving before possibly in the next two weeks, I have explained this to them, they have a warrant says they will force entry with a locksmith. I spoke to the ability to pay department a few days they were due to be coming last week, I waited in all day then rang just before 8pm and they said they had been a mistake with the warrant and now they are coming on the 25th instead. I've got letters etc from landlord showing notice as well as medical records maybe if I email them to them it just seems so bizarre they will charge me for fitting it, if they do then I will lose the money I was going to use to pay them, well part of it.
  • flick24
    flick24 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But also says my landlord can take money for any arrears with gas/electric surely thats a third party contract between me and them nothing to do with the landlord, I made a payment of £50 last week I just don't have it, I've applied to the energy trust was meant to get a form but heard nothing
  • Victor_the_Gink
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    If there is charge for your LL to get the prepayment meter removed then he can probably pass this charge on to you. Via the deposit if necessary.

Can you not simply tell BG not to install the prepayment meter if you are about to move? Do they need access in order to install it?

On what basis would the LL be able to charge for PPM removal? The meter is not owned by them, it is the property of the energy provider. The statute is clear that energy affairs do not concern a LL. Whilst tenants are expected to return the property in the condition the received it, the meter does not form part of the property. If a LL tried to take such a fee from the deposit the tenant should immediately raise a dispute.
  • Miss_Samantha
    Miss_Samantha Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2017 at 10:59AM
    Options
    The tenancy may contain a term (as it should) that the tenant will meet the costs of re-instating a standard meter.

Even without such a clause the landlord may have recourse as it would be a change to the property that would likely be detrimental to its value.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    flick24 wrote:
    I've fallen into some arrears with british gas since losing my job I've explained I was a victim of crime and been very stressed, they were meant to come fit pre payment meter last week then changed it to the 25th this is under warrant. I've been given notice on the flat due to it being sold, I've explained this also, can my landlord keep my deposit if they change it over ironically if I can get my deposit I can pay the bill.If he can keep it then I'm further in debt anyone knowabout this
    G_M wrote:

If BG are fitting a PPM under warrant, you cant stop them they would get locksmiths in and so on if you try and stop them...

The OP is going to have to pay for court cost, warrant, labour charges so on and the arrears via PPM ....

If OP is moving the debt should follow the OP to new address

As for a LL charging OP or via deposit for having the meter changed back, LL got No chance of getting that money back IMHO....
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure