Vetting !

Options
Heyo. Currently being vetted. SC Cleareance (2nd highest)

I had an interaction with police authorities after the vetting was submitted and had already commenced. I was arrested (Very unfairly its a Very long story, its actually something I really want to pursue in terms of formal complaint against the Police, however further upsetting any possiblity towards vetting outcome makes this very offputting! frustrating.)

Essentially I'm not a criminal -no history. I'm actually really nice! First time I have ever been arrested. I was released with only questioning. No caution. No warning. No charges. No record. I was told by authorities this wouldnt show up and was sent on my very traumatised merry way.

I was told by legal reps it would show (in local police file checks). I was told by another lawyer higher level checks include arrests; my situation has not resulted in a charge, caution or other similar disposal.

Do I need to inform the vetting authorities of this? Or is it ok to allow them to approach me if necessary - if something is seen, discuss fully the situation and mishap etc.. I dont know what to do here. No one provides answers. Possibly someone whose come across this type of thing before?

:A

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    - What did you get arrested for?

- How far into the vetting process did this occur? And how long does vetting normally take overall?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And what did the pre-vetting questions ask? Did you agree to tell them if your situation changed?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What have you potentially got to loose by telling them? What have you potentially got to loose by not telling them? If they don't want to know there is no harm in telling them, if they do want to know there may be harm in not telling them.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ds383
    ds383 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    jj16230 wrote: »
    Heyo. Currently being vetted. SC Cleareance (2nd highest)

I had an interaction with police authorities after the vetting was submitted and had already commenced. I was arrested (Very unfairly its a Very long story, its actually something I really want to pursue in terms of formal complaint against the Police, however further upsetting any possiblity towards vetting outcome makes this very offputting! frustrating.)

Essentially I'm not a criminal -no history. I'm actually really nice! First time I have ever been arrested. I was released with only questioning. No caution. No warning. No charges. No record. I was told by authorities this wouldnt show up and was sent on my very traumatised merry way.

I was told by legal reps it would show (in local police file checks). I was told by another lawyer higher level checks include arrests; my situation has not resulted in a charge, caution or other similar disposal.

Do I need to inform the vetting authorities of this? Or is it ok to allow them to approach me if necessary - if something is seen, discuss fully the situation and mishap etc.. I dont know what to do here. No one provides answers. Possibly someone whose come across this type of thing before?

:A

It's best to be honest with them, it will make you look better and show that you have integrity. They'll likely understand, aslong as it wasn't for a violent offence etc. If you don't tell them and it shows up in the checks it will make you look untrustworthy.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DV and SC they will find out regardless. If you are upfront and it isn't something they are worried about then it isn't a problem, if you try to hide it then it suddenly will become a problem regardless of the original reason behind it.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It's nobody's business here what the arrest was for and nor is 'why' relevant. Given the level of vetting I would certainly make the first move and inform them of the facts. If / when they do find out it won't look great if they have no record of it from you.
  • Les79
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    It's nobody's business here what the arrest was for and nor is 'why' relevant. Given the level of vetting I would certainly make the first move and inform them of the facts. If / when they do find out it won't look great if they have no record of it from you.

That is true, however there is a possibility that the police reports have already been requested/obtained in which case telling the employer may be more of a moral one...

Knowing what the arrest was for could help to guage the relative risk. That being said, theoretica was more eloquent in their post without requiring the reason WHY.
  • jj16230
    Options
    ok. but it has resulted in nothing. no caution, no charges, no criminal record. no warning?
  • Les79
    Options
    jj16230 wrote: »
    ok. but it has resulted in nothing. no caution, no charges, no criminal record. no warning?
    That is a very underwhelming reply...
  • jj16230
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    That is true, however there is a possibility that the police reports have already been requested/obtained in which case telling the employer may be more of a moral one...

Knowing what the arrest was for could help to guage the relative risk. That being said, theoretica was more eloquent in their post without requiring the reason WHY.

The arrest was domestic related but in my opinion extremely unfair. My partner was trying to enter my home after repeated requests for them to go home beforehand. Partner was intoxicated. I pushed them first and thus the police said I instigated it, However I received a black eye and also had to go to hospital yet they took me to the station and they received no repercussions whatsoever. I would have challenged this, but ive been seriously afraid further action would just result in potentially further issues with the authorities.

The police sergeant actually took the police officers to the side and asked why the other party had not been taken in after seein my physical injuries.

If i tell them will this cost me the job? Ive seriously worked very hard to finally gain this job offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure