Student duped into becoming mole

Hello,
I am an International student studying in the UK. Recently an acquaintance from university told me if I gave him my sort code and account number, and withdrew some cash he would give me 300 pounds. I stupidly accepted, as I really needed some money for day to day expenses at that time.

On the day 5000 pounds was entered into my account, I went withdrew it and gave it to him. Two days later, my bank account was closed and the bank sent a letter saying I have 16 days to withdraw any remaining funds in my account. I think I have a CIFAS marker on me, but am not sure.

I am currently scared of any implications I may face and would like to get some advice on what to do, and if there are any serious issues I may face, besides not being able to open a UK bank account. I currently have 8 more months before I finish my degree, and would like to know if there could be long-term repercussions, and the chances of me facing prosecution or being arrested for this.

Comments

• The CIFAS will be there for 6 years.

What category CIFAS marker was applied?

You’ll find it extremely difficult to get any form of high end (and even low end) credit now - bank accounts, credit cards, loans, mortgages etc.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Game over for you. Fortunately it will only be a burden for 8 months till you leave the U.K. Choose to remain and you will struggle to get any banking facilities for six years.
  • Was your course law or financial services of any sort (accountancy etc)?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you have now crossed this acquaintance off your social list, don't talk to them, don't even share anything with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure