Redundancy Payment - What counts towards the £100K Tax

Options
Good morning

I am being made redundant from my current employer and will be paid a Redundancy Payment of just under £60K, of which the first £30K will be free of tax.

My total income for the tax year (including that full £60K) will be around £113K (Current Job + Redundancy Pay + a new job which I will start immediately)

My question is whether the first £30K of untaxable income is completely disregarded for income tax purposes (such that HMRC will consider my income to be £83K for the tax year), or is they still count that £30K as income and therefore I will fall in to the 'over £100K' bracket and therefore I will start to lose my Personal Allowance ?

Thanks

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The £30k does not form part of taxable income.
  • FudgeHouse
    Options
    The £30k does not form part of taxable income.

Thanks - so, I know that the £30K is not taxable, but just to confirm you're saying that as it is not taxable it also does not form part of my income to calculate rates of tax ? If so that's the news I wanted :-)
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Conversely savings interest and dividend income taxed at the 0% "Personal Savings Allowance" and "Dividend Allowance" rates is still taxable income and does form part of your total income for adjusted net income purposes.
  • Me2you
    Me2you Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Just wait until the end of the year?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FudgeHouse wrote: »
    Good morning

I am being made redundant from my current employer and will be paid a Redundancy Payment of just under £60K, of which the first £30K will be free of tax.

My total income for the tax year (including that full £60K) will be around £113K (Current Job + Redundancy Pay + a new job which I will start immediately)

My question is whether the first £30K of untaxable income is completely disregarded for income tax purposes (such that HMRC will consider my income to be £83K for the tax year), or is they still count that £30K as income and therefore I will fall in to the 'over £100K' bracket and therefore I will start to lose my Personal Allowance ?

Thanks
    When I was made redundant (6 years ago), the £30k was not on my gross pay on the payslip and not on my P45. I believe your income will be shown to HMRC as 83k.

If you get a new job lined up fairly soon, it can be a good time to top up your pension.
  • FudgeHouse
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies - I'm reassured now I'm not going to have my Personal Allowance eaten away ! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure