do sellers overstate the condition of goods?

Options
I think one of my buyers is a bit unlucky with ebay or just resigned to some sellers 'upselling' their goods, or is it an indication that it is now not uncommon for sellers to overstate the condition?

I got feedback this morning that positively glows, mentions item was brand spanking new and perfect and says 5*. I thought it a little odd as it was a brand new item and checked out what buyer usually leaves and noticed lots of 'item supposedly new- but filthy /smelly'. 'New shoes but showed wear' , 'new book but had writing in it' sort of feedback - but the majority of feedback to be fair was 'fine, thank you'. He obviously was surprised to buy something BNWT that actually was BNWT.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you've answered your own question!
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    Yes, yes they do! I always try to keep in mind my own experiences buying on eBay when I look at my buyers "feedback left for others". Sometimes it's the buyers are unreasonable, but often it's just that they're unlucky. You see it most with people who regularly buy cheap stuff, there's a few private sellers who have the attitude that if something is cheap it doesn't matter how they describe it.
    I buy quite a lot of clothing on eBay and I've run into quite a few "was described as new but isn't" situations myself. Sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best! After a while you learn to steer clear of anything with a description like "still lots of wear left" for example.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am always completely honest about the condition of my items and always include close-up photos of any faults. As a result I always get feedback that is full of utterly over the top praise about the wonderful condition of my item. I have always assumed people are shocked to actually get an item that is as it was described in the listing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,275 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I am always completely honest about the condition of my items and always include close-up photos of any faults. As a result I always get feedback that is full of utterly over the top praise about the wonderful condition of my item. I have always assumed people are shocked to actually get an item that is as it was described in the listing.

That does appear to echo my experience.

I buy a number of things at auction, usually when shops go bust so it is technically BNWT but I always state that the packaging is tired or torn, or perhaps the item has been stored for a while so isn't suitable for a gift.

Interestingly there is someone on a forum I read, again a US seller asking whether they should launder something they bought at goodwill (which is sort of like our charity shops) so it can be sold as brand new!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    Shame that you can no longer see what stars they left you...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think sellers, especially private sellers or business sellers pretending to be private sellers are the worst culprits for this.
    Its happened to quite a few times over the years, have had 3 items already this year alone from 2 sellers.
    bought 2 items of clothing from a pretend private seller item specifics were brand new ,as i was using the app i didnt read all the description, my fault i know but when they arrived they looked washed so looked at listing again on my computer and it turned out items had been worn once. Now i was happy overall tbh but cant understand the mentality of someone who cant see the difference between used and new and unused.
    The other sale a used item of clothing in good condition. Arrived and there were substantial rips in two places, but again a private seller buying to resell who hadnt really bothered to check the item over at all before listing.

my biggest problem i guess is those who list as new when its been used/worn ect , i mean its not rocket science to be able to know if something has been used or not.

I have recently been having a clearout and been selling stuff on, a few items were new with tags but because they had been sat in my wardrobe for a few years i sold as used.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently purchased something from a big high street chain who sell on Ebay. The size of the item was not what I expected. It turns out that this is standard for their sizing. Nowhere within their pages do they make it clear and I was subsequently treated quite shabbily by their customer service who presumably fend off returns all the time.

Knowing what I'm doing I sorted it at no cost but I'm constantly surprised how big companies flout the law and do little to help themselves. I personally think there should be bigger fines or more incentive for big companies to comply with consumer law. If, as Which! recently discovered, they have misleading conditions they should face the full wrath of the law. If big companies get away with it then there's little to stop small sellers. Unfortunately I suspect our consumer laws will get weaker in the next few years.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The amount of times I have been browsing with a view to buying and the item is stated as new and then the item description states "Worn once, immaculate"...so that wouldn't be NEW in my opinion.
    One person is selling used makeup....granted, you cannot list it as used, but that's revolting.

As a seller, I literally examine every stitch, photograph ANY and ALL possible faults if there are any and highlight this and tell the buyer to look at photos x and y to be sure they want to bid. I take photos of the size and brand label and the care instructions/composition of material too.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alykatz wrote: »
    I have recently been having a clearout and been selling stuff on, a few items were new with tags but because they had been sat in my wardrobe for a few years i sold as used.

To be honest you might be narrowing your market doing this - personally I would be buy something listed as unworn but been hanging in wardrobe for a while, but not something listed as used.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,275 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    To be honest you might be narrowing your market doing this - personally I would be buy something listed as unworn but been hanging in wardrobe for a while, but not something listed as used.

The problem is though that buyers expect 'new' to be current season and mint and I imagine that anything older that perhaps has that slightly stored dusty smell could end up with the seller having an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure