PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• AJ_Scotland
    Options
    Hi
    I’ve just come across this thread and I would love to join if that’s ok.
    I am at the early stages of preparing my simple living which has been spurred on by a recent bout of ill health (mental and physical) and a desire to work much less.
    I had a ‘no tat’ rule for over the Christmas period. This worked well until I bought a 6ft black gloss mannequin at a local auction. :rotfl: In my head I was saying “you’re breaking your own rule” repeatedly but my hand went up and the hammer went down and she was mine. I didn’t realise how statuesque she was until I got her home to my little cottage. Eventually I saw sense and managed to sell her on for a small profit.
    So far I have sold on dvds, cds and some books. I have donated surplus mugs to the staff room. I have gone through my clothes and got rid of any that I was ambivalent about. I need to really like what I have.
    I have cleared out my email inboxes and unsubscribed from lots. I have cancelled magazine and beauty subscriptions although I am keeping the National Trust for now ( I’ll get my money’s worth later in the year) and a couple of small charities.
    For me simple living will not be living frugally though. It is more that I want to live intentionally. I will only buy what I need rather than purchasing for convenience or on impulse to fill a void. Well, that’s the plan :)
    Next on my hit list will be the paperwork I’ve accumulated and magazines I’ve held on to but rarely read.
    I too have watched much less tv and I’ll be ditching Sky once my contract ends. I have been enjoying listening to podcasts (Dear Sugars and The Good Life Project are 2 good ones) and watching Ted talks. I watched a good film on Netflix called Minimalism and also a film called ‘I’m Fine Thanks’ is good although I had to buy that online. I think it was £3.49 which I consider good value for the bit of therapy it gave me :p
    I’m enjoying reading back through the thread. It’s lovely to find people who share the same goal and are tired of our consumption and consumerism.
    Here’s to a slow, simple, intentional life 🍷🍷:beer:
    Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge, #17.£70/£366
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 January 2018 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Evening everyone :) I'm very pleased it's Friday! :beer:

I feel like I've made a decent start with simplifying the 'easy' stuff:
    • Deleted Facebook and Pininterest from phone - lost so much time on them.
    • Found a no-knead bread recipe the family like and am making a loaf regularly.
    • Resisted the sales and bought no clothes or possible presents ... previously unheard of ....
    • Am using up what we have in the house completely before even thinking of replacing.
    • Am using vinegar and elbow grease to clean with.
    • Have a container for the food scraps that can go in the compost.
    • Have told boss that I like working part-time and intend to continue doing so :T

Anyone have other suggestions? I am being more aware of packaging/plastic/recycling but also am still slowly going through the house trying to reduce our belongings - I find the KonMari group great inspiration.

If you'd like to be nosy (as I do) Hubby and I are in our mid-thirties currently with a 3 year old and a 6 year old.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome! I love the expression 'living intentionally', echoes what I have been thinking 'living thoughtfully', something we have done for many years, for many reasons.
    Small steps, and be kind to yourself is my advice. I'd add, SmlSave, talk to your children about what you are doing - they won't always understand, but they will gradually take on your ideas and be able to talk about them. You may like to go back to kneading bread sometimes so they can join in! If your home set up allows, definitely sort out something for feeding the birds, so they can enjoy looking at them and learning about wildlife.
    Something I have always done - without realising it, as my parents and other family had always done it - is taking pleasure in small things. As you do that, you start living more positively. Of course, I take a great deal of pleasure from this board, not least because of reading about things like black gloss mannequins. Am completely astounded AJS, and think she was completely worth whatever you paid for the story value alone! Glad you made a profit as well.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SimpleLiving...congratulations on a wonderful thread. This feels like a haven from all the frenzied consumer activity out there in the world, and somewhere I would like to be, if I can join in?

I am celebrating a year of living more simply after a major declutter last January. I'm a Minimalists fan, and Mari Kondo has also helped me. I discovered that I'm naturally minimalist anyway, I hate social media (except for this place!), I enjoy afternoon naps, I'm in my 4th year of car-free living and a slower pace always suits me best.

I love the idea of getting rid of your laundry basket and just putting everything straight in the machine, and switching it on when it's full. I'm getting onto that today.

Looking forward to sharing ideas.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • dietdemon
    Options
    Hi all

I have been reading this thread with interest. I too would like to both simplify my life and live intentionally. I work long hours and would like to be able to work less but feel stuck in the rat race so to speak.

I have attempted to de clutter but..... Some great ideas on this thread and such a supportive group. I thought if I could post with like minded people it may keep me focused.

Need to formulate a plan.

:j
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Slight note of caution re "decluttering" Facebook - well I know I couldnt do that because that's one of the places that groups I'm in notify events/share information. It would make life harder if I never found out about "our" events etc. So some things do come out on "round robin" emails - but not all of them.

Though, if someone is using Facebook only for "personal" purposes - ie what friends and family are up to = well...yes...it would be decluttering to drop that then.
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slowly simplifying my life. I'm decluttering it is going fairly slowly but definitely less in the house and mentally makes me feel more in control.
    I have sorted out seeds and ordered a few packets. I have also planted some seeds out and hopefully will be almost self sufficient in veg this year. The fruit trees should produce more this year as another year older.

I wish I could reduce the amount of laundry i do. The only way to achieve this is to wait for DS2 to move out!! He keeps saying he will but can save more money by living at home. He plays rugby on Saturday's and trains twice a week. Lots of muddy kit.

Meals are planned and far less waste.
    Still has loads of toiletries to use up before I need to buy more and use them for more than one use.

I never used a toddler bed both of mine went straight from for to normal bed. Used a railguard and only problem was it wasn't high enough. DS1 used to wake up and stand in his cot holding onto the sides when he tried it on the bed he fell out. I only realised what he was doing after the first couple of times.
  • Rosesandrainbows
    Options
    Hello there, I have been following this thread since it started and thought it might be nice to join in and share a little a bit about my simple living plans for 2018.

Although I have been a follower of the simple living, voluntary simplicity, minimalist lifestyle for quite sometime I would really like to step it up a notch this year and really embrace a slower pace of life. This comes after a very busy 2017 and not a year I would like to repeat in a hurry!!

My simple living plan.

Continue to reduce my working hours. I have cut down a day a week but would like to be working 2-3 days by the end of the year. This will be achievable by reducing my outgoings as much as possible and I have already started working on this.

Grow my own fruit and veg in the spring and summer. I didn't do this in 2017 as I was too busy and I really missed my time in the garden. I have already starting planning my garden and the seeds I need to get me going.

Start saying no. This is probably my main area to work on. Last year I agreed to too many work and social engagements which resulted in a lot of time away from home and a big source of stress in my life. This year I have started as I mean to go on and have already declined lots of activities. I don't want to be anti social but at the same time I want to start carving out some me time (hope that doesn't sound too selfish).

I have really enjoyed reading all your simple living plans too.

Have a lovely weekend :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had a ‘no tat’ rule for over the Christmas period. This worked well until I bought a 6ft black gloss mannequin at a local auction. :rotfl: In my head I was saying “you’re breaking your own rule” repeatedly but my hand went up and the hammer went down and she was mine. I didn’t realise how statuesque she was until I got her home to my little cottage. Eventually I saw sense and managed to sell her on for a small profit.

:eek::rotfl:
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SmlSave wrote: »
    [*]Resisted the sales and bought no clothes or possible presents ... previously unheard of ....
    I've done this this year too!!!! I actually went in TKMaxx with mum Thurs, and she said she'd thought it was the first time I'd ever been in there with her and not bought anything! I only really looked at the kitchen stuff.

Before Xmas I was tidying up "Narnia" which is what I call my "walk in wardrobe" you can only really walk in if you are a hobbit, luckily I am, but it runs the whole length of my bedroom built into the slope of the roof, with a door at one end, I've managed to get a clothes rail and various shelves and tiny sets of drawers in there, but it has been rather used as storage for anything that needs to be kept warm and dry, like all my sewing things too. I found a suitcase with quite a few items in before Xmas that I had bought (bargains) to give as gifts previously, and not used for some reason, all brand new with labels, so I took them to the market with me before Xmas and I did manage to sell most of them for at least what I paid for them if not a little more! So I am determined not to build up another stash!

I did audit one of the freezers yesterday, it was too cold to do the other one! We need to eat through some of this meat!!! I might try for a no spend Feb, apart from milk and veg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure